Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clemson sets sights on BCS

Clemson sets sights on BCS

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?n...section=sports

BY LARRY WILLIAMS
    The Post and Courier

CLEMSON - Every year, after Clemson's football team concludes spring practice and before it begins voluntary off-season workouts, Joey Batson comes up with a motto for the forthcoming sweat sessions in the weight room and on the practice fields.

This year, the slogan is "BCS Summer."

The Tigers have yet to reach the Bowl Championship Series, which is entering its ninth season of existence. That could change in 2006, when Clemson is expected to challenge for its first Atlantic Coast Conference title since 1991.

Batson, who as Clemson's strength and conditioning coach has presided over the Tigers' offseason workouts, thinks his moniker could prove prescient come fall. He said the team's leadership, attendance and desire during the ongoing sessions is the best he's seen in his time at Clemson.

"It's been close to perfect," said Batson, who is entering his 10th season with the Tigers. "The first five weeks were about as good as any I've been around."

The NCAA mandates that offseason workouts be voluntary, but there's little doubt at Clemson or at any other big-time college football program that slackers are volunteering for a spot in the dog house - if not the bench.

During spring practice, Clemson's coaches left no ambiguity about their expectations for the summer. Head coach Tommy Bowden agreed to use one of the Tigers' 15 allotted practice days to give his players a step-by-step rehearsal of their summer workout regimen.

Clemson's 10 full-time coaches are prohibited from overseeing or being present at the workouts, but they made their demands clear during the spring.

"For the first time, we've taken some spring-ball time and addressed the summer issue and exactly what we want done," Bowden said last week. "We've walked through it with them on the field in a practice-type environment and said, 'OK, go here. Spend this much time here and here.' Maybe that's why the results have been pretty good."

Batson, essentially the Tigers' head coach during voluntary workouts, has marveled at the example set by the team's veterans. Eleven of Clemson's 15 returning starters are seniors, and they're evenly dispersed across positions to provide crucial leadership in almost every area.

At almost every position, the team has at least one fifth-year senior leading the way. Will Proctor at quarterback. Chansi Stuckey at receiver. Dustin Fry, Roman Fry and Nathan Bennett on the offensive line. Gaines Adams on the defensive line. Anthony Waters at linebacker. Duane Coleman at defensive back. Thomas Hunter at tight end.

"Chemistry is so big," Batson said. "I've had big, strong guys in the past, but when team chemistry isn't what it should be, then it makes it tough. But you can probably talk to any of those leaders right now and you'll see a sparkle in their eye, a confidence and an excitement. Not an overconfidence, but just an excitement about the season."

Proctor, who is taking over for record-setting quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, said he has detected more dedication in a team that finished 8-4 last season and won six of its last seven games.

"I've been saying it since January: There's a new attitude on this team," he said. "We've got a great group of seniors. We've got a bunch of guys that have stepped up to the plate to be leaders. Underclassmen have been leaders. Everybody has taken it upon themselves to get better and take the next step to get to the next level, where we want to be."

That level is the BCS. And Batson said it starts with the BCS Summer. "Our kids know how to work, and that doesn't just happen in a year, " he said.
    Feeling good\'s good enough...

pretty kewl... few teams have 2 national titles under their belt, Congrats!

all this talk before season is gonna seriously f up any chances of actually going to a BCS bowl.

everyone shut up about how good we're "supposed" to be.

Fairly good read, sounds like your team is headed into a good year. Seniors tend to play hard, I look forward to seeing what they are made of.

Expectations are high, no doubt. This team will prove all of this right or wrong by their play on the field.

It appears that they have things in perspective and hopefully won't let the preseason nonsense affect their play. It'd suit me just fine for Sept. 2 to pop up tomorrow and skip all of this talk.

I can't wait 'til that 1st real crisp morning when you walk out the front door and the air smacks you in the face and lets you know the best time of the year is here.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Wow! You boys REALLY think that you have a BCS team? Your gonna be good, but I wouldn't say all that. That is like the Carolina fans throwing roses on the field a few years back.

I know Batson's sister real well. He is a nice guy, but BCS summer.

Look, bottom line is this, Clemson struggles with consistancy. They need to take care of that. Rendrik Taylor(sp?) may look like Tarzan, just hope he doesn't play like Jane.

I have said this for the last couple of years and Georgia is going the same way. These speedy linebackers, can't handle a Big 10 power running game. Speed kills no doubt, but the best way to beat it is come straight at it. 210 lb linebackers aren't going to win a BCS game. They will do well in the SEC and ACC. Teams down here are going to that quick defense, but when they are successful they will probably have to play a team from the Big 10. The I formation is the bread and butter, not real gimmicky up there. Thats thing Carolina fans aren't getting about Spurrier. I will say this as far as a coach, he is better than most anybody out there. The advantage he had years ago at Florida was 1) better athletes 2) His offeense was different, not many people ran it. It was hard to immulate it in practice and even harder to adjust to it in a game until it was to late. Now, who doesn't run the 3 receiver sets?

I know its just fans being fans, but damn sober up!

We have struggled with consistency, and that is beyond a doubt a coaching issue. If Bowden can keep them motivated every game and let his coordinators do their jobs we should do very well this year. The away games at BC and FSU will set the tone for the season. Win both and we'll probably win the conference. Win one and we'll have a solid 8-10 win season. Lose both and we could start on one of Bowden's famous slides. I think we split and should feel fortunate.

Who's your team codsack?

Originally posted by codsack:
    Wow! You boys REALLY think that you have a BCS team? Your gonna be good, but I wouldn't say all that. That is like the Carolina fans throwing roses on the field a few years back.
    If Clemson wins the ACC then they get a BCS bid. Notice I said "IF". High expectations....maybe, but entirely possible.

Each year I hear the high hopes of the Clemson fans. Don't get too excited. When Clemson loses a few, the fans will start calling for Bowden's head and talking about Danny Ford.

Now let's get all teary eyed and remember the glory days.

at least Clemson has glory days....

That's the spirit john boy.

That's right, Geetch. When the taters are 1-2, they will be calling for tammy's head.....again. He'll rally the tots to a 7 or 8 win season and they'll forget all about the prior animosity. The end result is that they are settling for mediocrity, just as they have been since the early 90s.

its all talk until you hit the field....but i agree that the talk should be about winning championships and ACC titles. we are stacked this year.

Its still more fun to be a clemson fan when you can actually HAVE these talks...as opposed to the gamecoots that get all excited about the old ball coach bringing glory back to USC with a 7 win season this year.

but i have heard a true gamecoot tell me that NEXT year will be the one to watch out for....I am still waiting on NEXT year...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I know I'm going to catch hell, but I am a dawg fan. Hardcore,but I don't have the red and black glasses on. I think I am realistic. Talk about expectations, I remember Jim Donnan saying " he had waited 55 years to coach a team like this" That was the year that Quincy Carter threw 5 ints in COLA. 8 win season, but that was all he was good for.

Georgia has alot to prove. O-line is weak. Seems like Georgia has recruited well everywhere exept on the o-line.

I remember Quincy throwing all those picks well. But for that, I believe yall would have killed us.

I would be surprised if the dawgs didn't win at least 7 or 8 this year. Richt has got yall back on track but I think the OL and QB situations will dictate how far you can go. Our game in Cola may well set the tone for both team's seasons.

Every team in the country has high expectations in preseason. All this preseason hype is the same thing that comes out of every camp in the summer. One thing that is consistent, that time has proven..... Neither of them can compete for a ACC/SEC title year in and year out, yet alone a National Ch.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

I joke around alot and say things just to get Clemson and Carolina fans all fired up. Honestly, I wouldn't want to play Clemson this year and Carolina will be close. I truly don't know what is going to happen in Columbia on 9/9/06. I was looking at Carolina's schedule, if they have a strong start they will be sitting pretty for the east. Clemson's is FSU, UM, BC. Clemson will not be over matched in any of them. Its just if they can be consistant. Hell, everybody talks about Whitehurst missing the guy in the endzone against Miami. Clemson should have had that game long before that play.

We haven't had consistency (of the good sort) since Max Lennon ran off Danny. If we could just quit falling on our faces against teams like UM maybe we can get over the psychological hump.

I wish we were playing UGA this year. To be honest, I think we would probably stomp your asses. A little payback for our last meeting. Carolina might do it to you too.

I think Clemson/UGA should play every year. Just like SC should play NC/NC State every year. I've always said you should have a rival with your neighboring state. Like the UF/UGA game every year. Look at the national attention it gets. ( Worlds Largest Cocktail Party)
    I would rather see SC play one of the N. Carolina schools rather than Florida Atlantic/Wofford, etc. As same goes for Clemson playing UGA/UF every year. It makes your strength of scheldule ski rocket and you end up in better bowls.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!