Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clemson Cheatahs to lose 2 players for '19

Default Clemson Cheatahs to lose 2 players for '19

Drug test appeal denied. Now 2 Clemson players will miss all of 2019 season
    BY MATT CONNOLLY

MAY 24, 2019 09:07 AM, UPDATED 27 MINUTES AGO

Five months after Dabo Swinney announced that three Clemson football players had tested positive for ostarine and were being suspended for the College Football Playoff, there is finally a resolution to the matter.

Clemson football players Braden Galloway and Zach Giella have had their appeal denied and will miss the upcoming season, it was announced Friday.

Both players tested positive for trace amounts of the banned substance ostarine prior to the playoffs, as did defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence, who was selected by the New York Giants in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

“We are disappointed in the results of the appeal and continue to believe our student-athletes did not knowingly ingest any banned substances. The Athletic Department takes seriously its role in the education, testing and enforcement of supplement and performance-enhancing substances,” Clemson’s athletics department said in a statement. “We will continue to adhere to best practices with respect to supplement use by student-athletes and support the position of the NCAA in its testing for PEDs.”

When he first announced the suspensions Dec. 24, Tigers coach Dabo Swinney said the players did not knowingly take a banned substance.

Attorney Robert M. Ariail, who represented Galloway and Giella, said in a statement that the two did nothing wrong.

“The student-athletes repeatedly have stated that they have no knowledge of how Ostarine entered their bodies. Their assertions were confirmed by a polygraph examination taken by each,” the statement said. “Both student-athletes had negative test results for prohibited substances in multiple urine drug screens in April and October of 2018, just before their positive December 2018 test, and again in both January and February of 2019, just after the December positive test.”

Clemson filed an appeal with the NCAA at the end of April with the hope that the suspensions would be overturned.

As part of the appeal, Galloway and Giella presented statements from “scientific experts which confirmed that the very low levels detected in December 2018 were indicative of contamination of legitimate products.”

Tigers Athletics Director Dan Radakovich told The State in December that Clemson was doing everything it could, including “going through and checking our supplements, going to the manufacturer and looking at all of that” to find out how the players got ostarine into their systems.

The statement from Ariail said Clemson was unable to find the source of the ostarine.

“The WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) report also noted that in many cases, the identification of the contaminated product is not possible. The students’ scientific expert stated that Ostarine can remain in one’s system for an indeterminate amount of time, making it even more difficult to pinpoint the source of contamination,” the statement said. “In the December 2018 instance, the student-athletes were unable to identify the source of contamination. As part of the appeal process, an independent lab tested 27 supplements and products, and none came back as contaminated.”

The loss of Galloway is a big blow for the Tigers in 2019 as he was slated to be the starting tight end for Clemson, replacing Milan Richard.

Galloway caught five passes for 52 yards and a touchdown while playing in 12 of the 13 games he was eligible for last season. He led all tight ends with four catches for 33 yards and a touchdown in the spring game in April. With Galloway out, junior tight end J.C. Chalk is expected to move into a starting role.

Giella was slated to be a backup offensive lineman for Clemson in 2019 after playing in 11 games last season.

It is possible that Galloway and Giella could return for the postseason in 2019, as the punishment is in effect for a year from the suspensions, according to the NCAA. However, a Clemson official said the school is still awaiting clarity on whether or not the two will be eligible at the end of December of 2019.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...230787064.html

Do either contribute?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Galloway would have had some impact this season. Tough hit at TE.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Interesting that The State conveniently left this out.....

"Student-athletes at Clemson have taken 329 tests for PEDs since 2014, and all results have been negative except for the trace amounts found during the December 2018 tests. The two current student-athletes were tested prior to the December test, including in April and October of 2018 and again in January and February of 2019, and results came back negative for PEDs. Clemson maintains a rigorous education and testing program, and all supplements are reviewed with Clemson Athletics Nutrition and Sports Medicine as well as the Clemson Compliance Office prior to approval for usage to ensure that no banned substances are included in the products."
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Do either contribute?
    Not anymore.

But in all seriousness the article addresses that at the end. One was a backup lineman. The other should have started at TE this year.

I'm not throwing stones as I'm not foolish enough to believe that all teams at the top aren't doing everything they can to get that edge. But Clemson got off pretty lucky in this.

Bullshit. No one willingly takes something so insignificant when testing is done on the reg. Don't act like a Democrat bc Georgia has become a choke artist.

I don't think they got off lucky. The amounts in their system have been proven that if it had been taken as a performance enhancer, it would have been exponentially higher.

But it is over now so next man up.

Yeah denying drug test results and the resulting suspensions doesn't sound like a whiny Democrat at all.

Pull your head out of your ass. College football is a business and millions are on the line. They are all looking for every edge they can find.

Or yeah. Maybe it was just some shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Bullshit. No one willingly takes something so insignificant when testing is done on the reg. Don't act like a Democrat bc Georgia has become a choke artist.

This. Making yourselves look pathetic.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

wow. Ballplayers in college now taking otc peds? things are getting out of hand. #theboz44
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I'm guessing players have been using SARMS for decades before sports-governing agencies got wind of them.

Nothing to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    wow. Ballplayers in college now taking otc peds? things are getting out of hand. #theboz44
    I’m pretty sure whatever the Boz was taking wasn’t over the counter. Just a thought. Pure conjecture.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Ostarine University

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    I’m pretty sure whatever the Boz was taking wasn’t over the counter. Just a thought. Pure conjecture.
    I don't think he meant that, sir. I think he was saying what the Clemson players did isn't as bad as the old days, when players injected real steroids.

Wasn't their story that ostarine must've been a hidden ingredient of a legal supplement?

As much as I want to toss the BS flag, Sports Illustrated did an expose on the supplement business about ten years ago. A teenager hell bent on building muscle had recently died. When the authorities examined his legal supplement, a hidden ingredient found was Halotestin, a very strong androgenic/anabolic oral steroid. You take that shit for a long time and the effect on your liver ain't gonna be good.

Hell, Boz would've loved ostarine, if it does what is reported. All the positives of an anvar/test/eq stack minus their side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I’m a UGA fan and I’m man enough to admit that we seem to have perfected the art of Clemsoning
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Cheetahs never prosper
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I’m a UGA fan and I’m man enough to admit that we seem to have perfected the art of Clemsoning
    Sounds like it's about to rebrand the art of choking in big spots. Bulldogging? You Gee Ay'ing?

Too soon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Bitterness and jealousy abounds.

Other than ostarine being banned in the United States. Can someone explain the benefits of it?