Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decoy documentary

Quote Originally Posted by joeydpga View Post
    Thank you PD, I grew up in Southern Maryland and know more history from there and Virginia. The havre de grace museum, Easton, and Solomons Island museum have some good pieces in their collections. Maybe I'm out of the loop, I find it harder to learn about the history of water fowling here. Probably just need to read more.
    We had a few breakouts who published their waterfowling efforts, but in the main, most stayed private. I am not really sure why, but I respect their decision. I have 300 year old pages of script about killing ducks in SC that won't be published while I am alive.

That is immensely cool. The weathering is great. I'm guessing a Mason standard?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    That is immensely cool. The weathering is great. I'm guessing a Mason standard?
    We have no idea. One person that examined it mentioned it may have been the early work of the brothers from that area.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The more I look at that decoy, the more I want it. Finding one like that in the wild is pretty awesome. I found one of Bobby Desportes' SucDuck pintail decoys in a holllow stump in his bait hole. I wouldn't trade it for a Ferrari...

Best Incan do is a Herters plastic I found.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    "life is too short to hunt over plastic decoys"
    Good stuff!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

That documentary explains the recipe for the "it" we have so often talked about here over the years. It's a feeling driven by the duck hunting traditions, memories, love of nature, nostalgia and the striving through the years to be an accomplished waterfowler. Actually it's more of a spiritual thing than a feeling. It sprouts from the core of your being. If it doesn't you won't sacrifice the time, money and frozen toes to chase those damn birds. There's no such thing as a fair weather duck hunter, if you aren't hardcore you aren't a real duck hunter. There is also no such thing as perfection in this game, you know from very early on that you'll never be quite good enough, but you strive to get better with every passing season. After almost every hunt I have reminisced on the hunt, reliving and studying it mentally, wondering what I could have done differently to make it better. Yet all the while knowing I will never get the chance for a redo because every hunt is different and presents different challenges. The fact that no two hunts will ever be alike is what makes them so special. That uniqueness of each one is another part of the "it".
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Best Incan do is a Herters plastic I found.

Love it... Just wish I could come up with a witty Aztec line...

[QUOTE=Catdaddy;2622603]At least 45 years ago. My friend saw it first so he has it. Just the tail was sticking up out of the pluff mud

Your friend live in Murrells Inlet? My wife’s grandfather has an old decoy very similar with a strikingly similar tale about how it was acquired.

[QUOTE=mohill;2622727]
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    At least 45 years ago. My friend saw it first so he has it. Just the tail was sticking up out of the pluff mud

Your friend live in Murrells Inlet? My wife’s grandfather has an old decoy very similar with a strikingly similar tale about how it was acquired.
    Yep,....is your mother in law Julie or Ellis?

Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-26-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by mohill View Post
    Ellis
    Damn, I'm getting old. I remember when Ellis was born.