Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silhouette Decoy success

Default Silhouette Decoy success

Putting together a list for a day dream hunt out to the prairie pot holes.

I would probably spend most of my energy hunting said pot holes for ducks, but on the off chance that I found a hot field and access, I would like to have that option.

From a cost and space perspective, silhouettes are a no brainer, but has anyone used them with success. I would also add in my floaters for some extra bodies.

Thoughts?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Be where the ducks want to be in a dry field and anything will work. I would buy some of these 2 dolla decoys you see on here, cut the bottom/keel off of them and use them.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I'd get silo sock snow decoys, silhouette canadas, and mojo ducks

I like silos, have killed ducks and geese over them.

V board silos too for divers.

As said above, in the right spot, anything works.

We used wooden cutouts in the 70's. They were ok then. With all the field spreads ducks are seeing these days, I would not waste the time to travel that distance and hope to rely on them...

You'll hate yourself for trying to hunt water. Trust me. Its sounds sexy but its a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    You'll hate yourself for trying to hunt water. Trust me. Its sounds sexy but its a loser.
    Can you elaborate?

I've duck hunted up that way a couple of times, but I'm definitely not an expert.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Fish is full of water! If u like killing a variety of ducks, hunt the potholes. Our fastest limit last year was hunting over water. We left dry fields and mallards to do so just because it would be a quick and easy hunt.

Haven't hunted the pothole region in probably 4 or 5 years now, but I always liked hunting water and fields.

If it was me, I'd haul a 2-3 dozen full bodies, a good bit of socks (the ones with heads too), and 3-5 dozen floaters.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Sure. I've made the trip up there 7 seasons now. At no time did water produce like the fields. And you can trust we looked and tried. The first year we went we set up on water numerous times. The only really successful hunt was on a small stock tank. That same stock tank has produced nothing since. I have shot limits near water, but only because we set the field spread near water and not because of the water. That was simply where we found the X. Typically, "sloughs' are too big to get consistent, in range, draws. But back to my first trip, we had virtually no success until we started hunting fields. Obviously there are places where you can kill them over water. But you have to find concentrations on small bodies of water to do that. The cycle in the area I hunt is, the concentrations roost and rest on a large central slough. From that slough, they fly to cut corn. And since the big concentrations tend to favor bigger sloughs for resting, it's impossible to set up while they're on it. So now you've got to run them off to set up and hope they come back. And hope they decoy on a piece of water that is so big they probably won't land with a hundred yards of you. We don't slow down to look at 100 ducks. We start getting interested when there's a thousand. It's a tough adjustment for new guys on the trip to understand that at first. By the end of the week they won't even look at small groups, mostly because I ignore their constant alerts about a small flock on a pond until they just give up.

To fully demonstrat my resolve about hunting water, I stopped taking waders years ago.

Argue this all you want. But, all things being equal, meaning no adverse conditions, like a full moon, I'll put my crew on a limit every morning and every duck on every strap is dry.

But to take this further, I don't want to hunt water. I want to hunt the fields. That place gives us that opportunity. Its unlike anything we ever see here.

It is all about perspective. I will drive past 10,000 mallards feeding in a field to go hunt 300 of them returning to the water every day of the week...

Good points.

I think another factor to look at is how many people are you hunting with? My trip is gonna consist of two people, maybe 3 tops. We won't need 10,000 birds to fill our straps and be done.

agree with fish on the field hunting. watching hundreds of mallards and pins dropping in on you in a layout blind is hard to beat

i'd take some cheap decoys with keels on them in case you do want to do water. if you find a hot field, just stick the keel in the dirt, throw some mallard/canada shells around the perimeter,put a couple mojos up in front of you, and you'll be primed for success.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

I completely agree with JAB. Intent is the driver. And I intend to kill their asses in a field.

MM, a small group is easier to hide in a field.

As long as they are dying...

I hate hunting out of a layout blind, don't mind the laying part, it's the shooting part. Feels unatural shooting sitting down. Last year where we go very little corn was cut and hiding in a bean field would be tough. Found spots with ducks landing in dry beanfields, cattails to sit in, and water too our backs. Blowing wind and cattail fuzz will drive you crazy!

I won't hunt it if there is a cattail anywhere to be seen...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I won't hunt it if there is a cattail anywhere to be seen...
    Phragmite much? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Not if I can help it! If there aren't trees, I am not interested...

You boys must have some water holes you've been hunting for a while. I don't know of a huntable slough with tree where we go.