Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boat for Intended use

Default Best boat for Intended use

I’m selling my 16ft G3 and looking to get into something a little bigger at the beginning of the year since our family just grew by one. The boat will be used to fish Murrells Inlet and winyah and for cruising the Waterway and an occasional calm day trip to 3 mile out of MI. Also will be used a good amount for setting lines on the big pee dee and bream fishing the waccamaw. Having a hard time between these two boats. Concerned about the fiberglass when setting lines and possibly bumping cypress knees and stuff. But concerned about the handling of the aluminum in the rougher water when carrying the family along. Just thought I’d get some input from the SC ducks crowd for things I may not have considered.

Which would y’all choose? Boats relatively close in price.

http://www.seapromfg.com/172-bay-series.html

http://www.g3boats.com/bay-18

You need a CC fiberglass boat. Coming from the kid who sunk a jonbote in Murrels Inlet when I was in 3rd grade jumping the New Inlet Princess's wake and another (that I recovered) in 1986 at Pawleys.

Haha I’ve faired pretty well out there so far don’t think that’s necessary.
    But I’ll take that as a vote for the sea pro. Thanks
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 05-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.

You can get alot more boat for the money if you look at the excel bay pro or xpress bay lines,, or sportsman boats, if I ever go the fiberglass route I'm calling GC
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

If sportsman still had the island bays I’d be all over those.

I’ve considered the Xpress h18 bay as it’s in the same price range as well but have read a lot about broken welds.

I’m not familiar with GC what’s that?
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 05-24-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    If sportsman still had the island bays I’d be all over those.

I’ve considered the Xpress h18 bay as it’s in the same price range as well but have read a lot about broken welds.

I’m not familiar with GC what’s that?
    Goin Coastal on here. Resident bote man
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Keep the 16ft aluminum boat and buy a 21ft+ something, Everyman should have at least 2 boats, 3 in a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Keep the 16ft aluminum boat and buy a 21ft+ something, Everyman should have at least 2 boats, 3 in a perfect world.
    I know you are right and wish this were an option.

I think im down to 6 at the moment
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

This. Having a Jon boat and a bigger cc is the way to go if you can swing it.

I’ve got a war eagle and a seacraft. If I could justify it I’d have a bass boat to!

I like seapro but in the 17' range I'd go with the Key West 1720. Helluva a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor4 View Post
    I’ve got a war eagle and a seacraft. If I could justify it I’d have a bass boat to!
    Damn straight skippy, I have an offshore boat, a 19.5 bay boat, a 17' Carolina skiff, a yak and I am boat shopping right now

Go see Brian down at Boat Shed. I’d look at a 20-22’ if you’re planning on fishing or doing much in Winyah. That area can get rough plus you’ll outgrow a 17’ CC before you know it.

I only have two boats, offshore and Triton 1860. There’s days where the waterway is way too rough for the Triton.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-24-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Go see Brian down at Boat Shed. I’d look at a 20-22’ if you’re planning on fishing or doing much in Winyah. That area can get rough plus you’ll outgrow a 17’ CC before you know it.
    They’re on my list to stop and talk to. They have the Bulls Bay 1700 which appears to be very similar to the sea pro.
    The 17-18 ft range is kind of my limit since it has to be stored in my garage.

I saw a promo video for bulls bay boats with a guide down in Georgetown that seemed to like the 17 footer for winyah.
    His page says he’s in the 2000 model now so like you said I’m sure it does get small quick.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 05-24-2019 at 09:36 PM.

If you get the Sea Pro- get the trim tabs- it made an incredible difference on my 19' sea pro bay boat

I’ll look into that thanks. Definitely leaning toward the sea pro seems like a really nice boat. Just not sure how well I’ll be able to take care of that fiberglass.

I LOVE a D/C boat for what we do. Just sayin and it has been offshore a many of times 50/miles or more. She is on her 4th motor. It is a STRATOS built by Earl Bentz. Just sayin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Earl made some great boats.No doubt...

I believe that Bulls Bay you’re looking at us a Sea Pro mold. Seems like Henry at Pioneer told me they had acquired it about the same time they got the Avenger mold. Boat Shed usually has a few in stock.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013