Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smell Of Shit in Florence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Smell Of Shit in Florence

So there's a mystery I need solved. On & off for a couple weeks, there is this awful smell that'll come & go. It was so bad at my office last week that everyone who got out their car looked at the bottom of their shoes. I ended up contacting someone with the county. A guy came by & said that the city sewer will get that way if we have a lot of water etc. But then I heard a guy say that farmers are spreading turkey shit & that's the cause. I've noticed it in a couple areas around Florence. I've never noticed it before so I'm perplexed. What is it?

i am fairly certain it was the budget report
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i am fairly certain it was the budget report

Using poultry litter as fertilizer is like using a fleshlite and saying you scored some pussy. At least with the fleshlite, you won't get weeds...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Using poultry litter as fertilizer is like using a fleshlite and saying you scored some pussy. At least with the fleshlite, you won't get weeds...
    Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

It's Florence.. This place is a crap hole, people finally figured it might as well smell like one.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

aint no town like flo town

You got a farmer injecting Sludge anywhere close by? The farmer across the road from the house uses it on a sandy hay field. Litter smells like roses, but they generally lime it quickly, and it doesn't last too long.

That's some of the farmers out there. I believe they spread some on our place out near you.
    Last edited by robbbos1; 05-22-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

Sure. We all want to cut input costs. The last place you want to look is fertilizer.

Sell that $248,000 tractor and do the same work with a $27,000 JD that has never even seen a computer...

Could be a pump station nearby, more so where a force main dumps into a manhole. It REALLY gets churned up and stanky near that tie in manhole. The amount of Inflow and Infiltration that the county guy mentioned, makes no sense to me. I & I is the culprit for SSO's (sanitary sewer overflow) but those arent normally related to odor.

Or it could just be the chicken shit, who knows
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Could be a pump station nearby, more so where a force main dumps into a manhole. It REALLY gets churned up and stanky near that tie in manhole. The amount of Inflow and Infiltration that the county guy mentioned, makes no sense to me.
    Flows in sanitary mains increase significantly during rain events.

we have narrowed it down to shit. animal or political is the real question.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Gross. No way Ralph can post here now...

Could be shinola. Do y'all know the difference?

Some of the best dryland corn and beans I know of has 2 tons of chicken shit spread ahead of the planter and they are clean as a whistle. I want litter as a part of my program. It is all about the manager not the litter.

Mars Bluff just plug your nose it will go away soon. Turkey and chicken litter doesn't smell too bad but if they are pumping hog houses that is a different deal.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Some of the best dryland corn and beans
    Great...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Great...
    You must be working for mosaic or potash Corp or somebody today. Chicken litter is a solid base to a fertility program. Just ask the guys growing big corn. I only mentioned dry land corn and beans because they were out freaking standing and the key to the mans fertility program is chicken shit. A little pop up and topdress a half rate of N and good to go oh yea and overall fertilizer costs are 30-40% less.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Some of the best dryland corn and beans I know of has 2 tons of chicken shit spread ahead of the planter and they are clean as a whistle. I want litter as a part of my program. It is all about the manager not the litter.

Mars Bluff just plug your nose it will go away soon. Turkey and chicken litter doesn't smell too bad but if they are pumping hog houses that is a different deal.
    This, in conjunction with granular and solid weed control.

I've been trying to figure out a way to make a post in here.