Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Budget

So are we giving raises even if employees are retired?

Kinda sounds like it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I will explain the budget and shitty road problem with 2 examples
    1979- a government work truck was a regular cab , bench seat, 6 cylinder, no a/c, work truck that cost a budget friendly $5000, it carried 3 men around that actually worked 4 hours per day cause there was no fucking a/c- just like my high school in 1979
    today the government work truck is a crew cab super duty 4x4 mid luxury level truck with dual a/c, stereo, and a work truck light kit that cost more than the 1979 truck, it carries 4 lard assed employees that total 2 hours work per day cause they sit in the a/c and play on their phones with a mobile wi-fi hot spot on the taxpayers dime cost $70,000

1979- 50% of the roads in SC by mileage were dirt and in good condition- tended by motor grader on a rotational and as needed basis, this allowed most of the road budget to be able to keep our paved roads in good shape. The road my Grandparents lived on was 1/4 mile long with 3 houses and was dirt.

2019- 95 %+ of all roads in SC are paved- they can't be tended by a motor grader, all of the transportation money is spent on $70K work trucks and building new roads for the fucking yankees, while ignoring the required maintenance of existing roads and bridges. My Grandparents road is paved and still has 3 houses on it.

What happened in that 40 year span- complete disregard of fiscal responsibility by the government.

Prove me wrong- my numbers may be off a little, but not by much.

Duck Tape- what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    That's why Pastides is out at USC.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    1979- a government work truck was a regular cab , bench seat, 6 cylinder, no a/c, work truck that cost a budget friendly $5000, it carried 3 men around that actually worked 4 hours per day cause there was no fucking a/c- just like my high school in 1979
    today the government work truck is a crew cab super duty 4x4 mid luxury level truck with dual a/c, stereo, and a work truck light kit that cost more than the 1979 truck, it carries 4 lard assed employees that total 2 hours work per day cause they sit in the a/c and play on their phones with a mobile wi-fi hot spot on the taxpayers dime cost $70,000

1979- 50% of the roads in SC by mileage were dirt and in good condition- tended by motor grader on a rotational and as needed basis, this allowed most of the road budget to be able to keep our paved roads in good shape. The road my Grandparents lived on was 1/4 mile long with 3 houses and was dirt.

2019- 95 %+ of all roads in SC are paved- they can't be tended by a motor grader, all of the transportation money is spent on $70K work trucks and building new roads for the fucking yankees, while ignoring the required maintenance of existing roads and bridges. My Grandparents road is paved and still has 3 houses on it.

What happened in that 40 year span- complete disregard of fiscal responsibility by the government.

Duck Tape- what say you?
    Our road system was overbuilt by senators in the mid 1900's. WE have way more road miles than needed. The farm to market roads were made from the local dirt and not enough rock. It was a poor base. That is the cause of the continuous pot hole problem. The ground pumps. Large trucks break them up.

Second issue is funding. Gas was taxed per gallon not per dollar. Cars are more efficient per gallon so there are more miles on the road per gallon. That caused a huge gap in cost per mile to repair when inflation is considered.

Stalled legislation: All attempts tp fund roads through the budget were blocked. Certain legislators wanted to deal with the roads through a gas tax and not general funds. They starved the road system until there was no option but a dedicated gas tax.

DOT has a road repair crew for potholes. All repaving, widening and new roads are performed by the private sector through a competitive bid. DOT does have employees watching the construction and counting the loads of materials to make sure the construction meets standards.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    4/5 of the landmass of SC is losing population while about 1/5 is growing in just 7 metro areas.

What do we do with the rural counties? Their tax base has eroded to nothing. The quoth are leaving in droves. Education is terrible.

A rural incentive through the dept of commerce is designed to attract industry. Hopefully, teach a man to fish...
    OK. You can quote numbers other people gave you all day long.

Meet me at the Wateree Country Store. Its not far from the 601 bridge. Commerce is booming.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The budget is balanced and we returned a small portion to the taxpayer.
    keep your $50! but dont spend it. save it. use it when it is NECESSARY.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Where did the Conservation Bank end up?

Thank you for sharing, by the way. I need to be better at not blaming you for the failures of government...
    This is the first year of the Bank under the reauthorization. It became a true state agency competing for dollars. It no longer got a cut of real estate tax.

The total annual expenditures are around 450,000 to run the bank. Total budget of 11,620,319.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    keep your $50! but dont spend it. save it. use it when it is NECESSARY.
    There is no way to please all. You can return the money to the budget. Come to the state house, bring me the check, stand in the balcony and I will introduce you as the only person in the state to return it.

Do politicians study history? What happened when Bush gave every tax payer $200?

Other than lots of TVs being sold....

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I think state agencies should be funded by a dedicated portion of the state sales tax.

DNR you want to know how much money you’re getting? Last year’s sales tax revenue was X. The state sales tax is Y percent and you get 1/8th of 1 percent. Do the math. Works great for Missouri.

Education? I have a plan for that too. Now it’s going to take 13 years for it to get fully implemented, but the cost savings alone, not to mention the superior education received, will more than make it worthwhile.
    Not until our elected thieves do away with the theft that is the income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Duck Tape- what say you?

This is another great example! Good points.

Now I have been saying for some time now put in Tolls! But only do it at the pinch points going into the beach.

If you have a SC license boom go on through. No charge.

Anything else make them pay 20$ That is not that far off from what you would pay around Florida, except you do it in 12 toll booths rather than all at once. I complain about that all the time. Just let me pay once I don't care if its 100$ but don't stop me 100 times.

People are there to spend money. They will not care.

I keep hearing that will have to go to the county it is in.
    '
    Oh...no! They had to travel through other parts of SC to get there but that is just where we know we can get them!

Some one listened, but as usual are about to screw this all up and put the toll on 95.

Lots of SC folks use the interstate to go around the terrible traffic build ups because of the bad roads. It's not right to make those of us who run around on there to pay on there.

Especially when we have a ready made tax base called tourist coming in wanting to spend money.

But for God's sakes man do not put the thing on a interstate!

If you have a SC drivers license let them pass right on through.

But do it on 17, 9, 378....on and on all the pinch points. We know where they are due to the same roads being hurricane evacuation routes.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

The budget works like this. Income and sales taxes fluctuate with the economy. Professionals estimate the budget for the next year. It has two parts. Recurring and nonrecurring funds. Nonrecurring must be spent on one time expenses. The recurring can go towards salaries that continue each year. We have a reserve fund. Debt is .38% or 1/3 of 1%.

There are 90 agencies sitting in a nest chirping feed me. All are asking for 10 times more than they need. We hand out the worms until they are gone. The lottery win was nonrecurring. We let all of you win.

$50 will get you two cases of a 30 pack of Natty Light, two blunts and $5 gas. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

The budget at my house works like this:
    We dont spend money we dont have. We also dont spend money based on what we made LAST year.

and we dont play the lottery.

Its no surprise I have money left at the end of the month. Maybe that approach could trickle its way down to the state level....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

and we dont play the lottery.
    Subtle "I know how to do math" brag...

Haha
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

I will side with DT on how some of the money is filled out due to obligations and certain things have to be funded in whole not as you go it’s federal law.

But the roads are a easy fix as far as I can see

Several other things too. But roads it’s easy.

I do appreciate DT doing his best to operate conservatively.

Remember he is only one member of the GA.

He and the others could have us like Illinois’s California New York New Jersey. And the other liberal hell holes.

Now the schools. Meh.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

i can add AND subtract without using my fingers. Its a gift....

and then I met Ryan and feel pretty stupid in my own house so I dont talk much at home any more....

Giving the government more money to waste is not an answer.

I still want to know why we are giving raises to people in retirement?