Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Budget

Default SC Budget

The 2019-2020 budget is built on the foundation of protecting taxpayers, a renewed commitment to being resourceful and efficient, funding only core functions of state government, and providing value for every dollar we spend.
    Since Republicans became the majority party in the S.C. House of Representatives in 1995, more than $42 billion has been returned to taxpayers. These tax cuts and rebates have taken the form of:
    • $220 million that residential homeowners deduct annually from taxes they would have paid for school operating expenses.
    • $217 million that seniors in our state save every year in homestead exemption taxes.
    • $650 saved on average per family per year since we completely eliminated the tax on groceries.
    • $108 million that married couples save annually because we eliminated the marriage penalty
    that married couples had to pay when filing their taxes jointly.
    • $5 million students save every year since we reduced college tuition for instate students.
    • $52 million last year alone that small businessmen and women save each year in lower
    unemployment insurance costs – the largest rate cut ever.
    Because of our fiscally conservative budgeting, South Carolina is currently one of only fourteen states with a AAA credit rating according to Moody’s. Our debt level is 0.39% of state revenues which is significantly lower than our constitutionally set limit of 5%.
    In addition to efficiently funding the normal core functions of government, this year we are making substantive investments in education and workforce development. We have prioritized public and higher education not only because we owe it to our students, but also to ensure our students are better prepared for the workforce and to fill the 72,000 technical jobs currently vacant in our state. We believe that a good education provides the foundation every man, woman, and child needs to have their own chance to succeed in our state’s new prosperity.
    The following are highlights of the 2019-2020 fiscal year budget:
    Education
    • $159 million to provide every teacher a pay raise and $15 million to Base Student Cost. 30% of
    the budget surplus from last year will be devoted to raising teacher pay.
    • This budget creates a new per pupil calculation (State Aid to Classrooms) by rolling up the
    following lines:
    Education Finance Act- $1,837,608,440 (65.59%) EFA-Employer Contributions- $804,641,652 (28.72%) Teacher Salary Increase- $159,248,000 (5.68%)
    Total = $2,801,498,092/720,316 (# of pupils)
    State Aid to Classrooms will increase to $3,889 per pupil

• $44 million to colleges in exchange for an agreement to freeze the cost of tuition for in-state undergrad students.
    • Nearly $68 million for improvements to workforce partnership programs in technical colleges, including funding for training new workers and purchasing new workforce equipment.
    • $10 million for School Resource Officers. Districts with the lowest index of taxpaying ability will receive priority consideration.
    • $2.2 million to begin giving schools access to the services of a mental health counselor.
    • $20 million for new textbooks and updated student instruction materials.
    • $19 million for new school buses to replace South Carolina’s aging school bus fleet with newer,
    more fuel-efficient models.
    • $85 million for the Rural Infrastructure Plan that will bring jobs and investment to the state’s
    poorest rural school districts.
    • $100 million for maintenance, renovation, and capital needs for our state’s four-year colleges
    and two-year campuses.
    Health
    • $50 million for health insurance rate increases for state employees.
    • $5.5 million for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. These funds will bring S.C. up to the
    southeastern average and enable more children to have health insurance coverage.
    • $6 million to combat the opioid crisis through education and treatment programs.
    • More than $10 million to provide key DSS support workers a pay raise, an increase from
    $12/hour to $13/hour.
    • $1.25 million to the dept. of corrections for mental health and medical personnel.
    • $500,000 for treatment of PTSD for first responder.
    Raises
    • $11 million to increase salaries for judges to ensure we have candidates with requisite judicial
    experience and qualifications.
    • $4.4 million to provide law enforcement and firefighters a pay raise.
    • $42 million to provide state employees an across the board 2% pay raise.
    • $20 million for a state employee bonus for employees earning $70,000 a year or less.
    Taxpayer Relief/Refund
    • Nearly $67 million for a one-time, $50 taxpayer rebate for every income tax return filed.
    • $22 million for the FEMA state match for Hurricane Florence.
    • $25 million for disaster relief for farmers from crop loss and damage related to Hurricanes
    Michael and Florence.
    Ethics
    • $40 million for new voting machines to ensure our election process is secure and fair.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

is it just me, or is it funny to hear politicians talk about all the money they are saving while spending billions? That has always seemed odd to me....

$50 taxpayer rebate? $67mil total.
    $11 mil for judge's salaries
    $6 mil for opiod crisis education
    $85 mil for a "rural infrastructure plan." how do i get a piece of that?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Wait. What? How is giving a billionaire liberal jackass pro football team owner $115 million "protecting taxpayers"?

It's "Complicated" and you simpletons just wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Wait. What? How is giving a billionaire liberal jackass pro football team owner $115 million "protecting taxpayers"?
    Something stinks in that deal. Wonder who owns the land where all this is gonna be? Happened to quick.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I am hitting refresh waiting on a response like this is a Nab thread circa 1999. Not.

What about funding for k-12 schools that is still at 2009 levels? Asking for a friend.

I wouldn't have been able to hit the Submit New Thread button with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Something stinks in that deal. Wonder who owns the land where all this is gonna be? Happened to quick.
    US Rep. Ralph Norman
    DILLIGAF

US Rep. Ralph Norman
    Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The 2019-2020 budget is built on the foundation of protecting taxpayers, a renewed commitment to being resourceful and efficient, funding only core functions of state government, and providing value for every dollar we spend.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I am hitting refresh waiting on a response like this is a Nab thread circa 1999. Not.
    We need a like button. Boy those Nab/Trashduck threads were fun
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

• $44 million to colleges in exchange for an agreement to freeze the cost of tuition for in-state undergrad students.

Could we simply withhold funding if they jack up the rates for in state students. Instead of taxpayers paying the difference?

It's like when your wife comes home with a carload of new clothes and tries to tell you how much she saved.
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-22-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    It's like when your wife comes home with a carload of new clothes and tries to tell you how much she saved.
    "But they were on sale"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post

Could we simply withhold funding if they jack up the rates for in state students. Instead of taxpayers paying the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    It's more like bragging to your wife about how well you've been following your budget and saving money, but both of your cars are busted, your kids don't have shoes, your dog has worms, and your roof is leaking.

We will also pass law to give teachers a 4% increase in pay but as the State we will not provide any of the funding for it, also 2% for the rest of state employees. What a joke!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaweave View Post
    What about funding for k-12 schools that is still at 2009 levels? Asking for a friend.
    State Aid to Classrooms will increase to $3,889 per pupil

At 2009 levels we should have been turning out rocket scientist, but that isn't happening. Giving them more money is only rewarding the communist who marched at the capitol that created a 14 page thread!

It is being bottle necked at the administration level.

Until we condense the school districts giving money is a waste of time.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 05-22-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

• $100 million for maintenance, renovation, and capital needs for our state’s four-year colleges
    and two-year campuses.

So no one knows how to balance a budget anymore?

Note to self: hire accountants that graduate from OOS.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    is it just me, or is it funny to hear politicians talk about all the money they are saving while spending billions? That has always seemed odd to me....

$50 taxpayer rebate? $67mil total. Someone hit the lottery in this state. We made sure everyone hit it.
    $11 mil for judge's salaries No raises for judges in 20 years
    $6 mil for opiod crisis education Dont share needles. Taxpayers will have to foot the Hepetitus bill while you are in jail at 26,000 per person, says a federal judge
    $85 mil for a "rural infrastructure plan." how do i get a piece of that? You would have to live in a very poor county with a declining tax base. I hope you never qualify.
    Jab For every $10 of income we give them $1 back. I am happy to set you up on that plan. How many employees are you bringing?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.