Thread: Bait tank help

Default Bait tank help

I have a pontoon dry docked at Clarks Hill. I want to put a bait tank for herring on it. My problem is getting the bait from The Herring Hut to the marina with them still alive and then put them in the tank on the boat.
    I figured you guys may have some good ideas. The ride is probably 15 minutes from the bait shop to the marina.

Buy two.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Make a bait tank out of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and a portable aerator or buy another bait tank for the vehicle.

I've always said that one of those marinas would make a damn killing if they'd sell herring on the water. Plum Branch would be the perfect place to do it......
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 05-21-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Go catch your own bait.

5 or 10 gallon Gott/Igloo water cooler and battery powered Mr. Bubbler. Already has handles for carrying.

Depending on how much bait you get, a 5 gallon bucket or two with an aerator for say 2-3 dozen with cold water should get you close but the bait will probably be beat up. I would opt for a cheaper Moeller plastic bait tank and a good aerator that holds 20 gallons or more. Cold/Cool water is key. Best case is get a used vest tank or something similar and transfer your bait from the truck to your boat. You will have much better results. Summer time is hell on herring.
    Last edited by dox08; 05-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    "run and gun guide service"

Put some frozen water bottles in your tank along with some of the chemical treatment designed for live wells.

I was told don't ever put ice in. Make sure it is in frozen bottles.
    This sounds crazy as hell, but I thought about strapping the bait tank to a hand truck. Get it filled as I go by and then hand truck it onto the boat. Then I would need ramps and all that shit, plus a mr. bubbles with a battery hook for the ride.
    Cut bait is sounding alot better, but I want to use live bait when I can.

Second Bait tank for truck transport. Insulated and round.

How far is the drive?

Get a 55gal drum and cut the top off.

Make a plywood lid and install a valve drain on the side about 4 inches up from the bottom.

Add your aerator.

If you have a free drum, and an aerator already, you’re in the hole for about 13$.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

55 GAL drum in the back of the truck. Pure O2 with a point four diffuser stone for transfer. no need for filtration for a 15-20 minute trip
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Keep alive tank, lawnmower battery. Put on a dolly if long walk.