Thread: Which planter?

Default Which planter?

I've decided to no longer lease out the farming rights on my property after this year. I'll be planting approximately 45 acres in mainly soybeans but I may do 4 or 5 acres of sunflowers. What size planter would work well with a 50hp tractor and should I even bother using a planter for beans if I don't plan on harvesting them. Or would I be better off broadcasting the soybeans and just using a planter for sunflowers and corn?

You gonna plant 45 acres of beans and not harvest them?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

It'll probably end up being 25 or 30 acres in beans, the rest in corn and a small portion of sunflowers. I may harvest the corn but not the beans, it's just for deer.

I'd let some of that get tall and nasty and just plant a few strips in between some big ol brier tangles and thickets.

And I hear JD planters are nice.

What Glenn said about laying out some land every year. John Deere 7000 pulll type 4 row would work fine on a 50 hp. Just can’t load the fertilizer boxes down. JD 7100 without fertilizer hoppers would work well but might get heavy on the back. NRCS might have a coat sharing program that will be great for what you’re doing. It will be sweet!

I have a 4 row 1750 pull type vacuum planter set up with Yetter floating no till combos I’ll have for sale pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!