Thread: Courtesy Boat Inspections

Default Courtesy Boat Inspections

In preparation for your time on the water...

https://www.wistv.com/2019/05/17/scd...-memorial-day/

How does it work again that you can just be pulled over and have your boat searched? In a car they can't search without cause or a warrant. I have had a couple of rabbit sheriffs pull up pop open boxes and containers without asking to conduct "safety" inspections. Does the constitution not apply on the water? That's not serious question by the way, just looking for yall's opinions on the reasons?

No it doesn’t. And in several states boating organizations are challenging these laws
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Not many things drive me more crazy than to be putting around on the pontoon with my family and a boat of game wardens run over to us to check us, while we are doing nothing wrong mind you. Last Memorial Day we got checked by 2 different boats of game wardens within an hour of us being on the water.

Agreed.

But if it saves one life.... Let's do it for the children.

Any different from this?

or the longer version for more context...

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Not many things drive me more crazy than to be putting around on the pontoon with my family and a boat of game wardens run over to us to check us, while we are doing nothing wrong mind you. Last Memorial Day we got checked by 2 different boats of game wardens within an hour of us being on the water.
    Take it as a compliment bro, you must have a smoking hotty on board to get checked twice in one day. "Can't outrun the radio".....know dat.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Federal and state game officers have extra-ordinary powers of search and seizure, even on private property and certainly on the water. MG

ps. I do not agree with it and have seen it abused personally many times. God rest Trad but we had many conversations offline about it and other cases. He investigated a case I told him about and was left dumbfounded.
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Federal and state game officers have extra-ordinary powers of search and seizure, even on private property and certainly on the water. MG

ps. I do not agree with it and have seen it abused personally many times. God rest Trad but we had many conversations offline about it and other cases. He investigated a case I told him about and was left dumbfounded.
    I think those extra powers are aimed at hiding fish and game. That shouldn't extend to family boating and looking for beer.

I got checked twice and was getting pulled for the 3rd time (blue light already on) when a cigarette boat came flying by.....on the Cooper River on July 4th. My wife and I were drinking bottled water. One group wanted to hassle me about my fire extinguisher.....which the gauge was in the green. I told them real quick,....."it doesnt really matter ......because if it catches on fire, my wife and I aren't putting out shit.....we are abandoning ship."

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I got boarded by the coast guard this fall in my 15’ Jon Boat. It was the most ridiculous and intrusive bull shit I have ever been a part of. I was actually tying up to the dock at the house when they decided to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Take it as a compliment bro, you must have a smoking hotty on board to get checked twice in one day. "Can't outrun the radio".....know dat.
    So, what does mean when there's nothing but dudes on board and you get checked twice in one day?

The Navy's working that area?
    Last edited by scatter shot; 05-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.

The fourth amendment most certainly applies on the water. Someday it's going to be worthwhile for someone to challenge that "random safety check" bullshit, and it's going to get slapped down.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    So, what does mean when there's nothing but dudes on board and you get checked twice in one day?

The Navy's working that area?
    They kept asking if I worked out? What’s that mean

Sounds like one Memorial Day weekend we were putting a 16’ G3 in at Low Falls, game wardens at the ramp asked if we’d like a courtesy boat inspection. I kindly said no thanks we are trying to get on out and go fishing. Well needless to see it no longer became a courtesy when they made it clear they were going to check every damn thing they could. Talking about pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    They kept asking if I worked out? What’s that mean

We got a courtesy check two weeks ago in Charleston harbor. They stoped us for absolutely no reason and wasted our time. I kept my smart ass mouth shut because i was not the captain. I will say they were very nice but I hate to be stopped by a guy with a gun when I don’t have a gun.