Thread: Sprayer recomendations

Default Sprayer recomendations

Let's say you knew someone that ran over his spot sprayer with the tractor tonight and needed to replace it. What would you suggest?

Said person normally uses it on the back of his mule. And is thinking around 25 gallon with maybe a boomless sprayer option.

His old one was 15 gallon with a boom sprayer. Boomless would be nice but it needs to be configurable since he sprays his yard and different sized plots with it. He would like a little bigger but not so big he can't move it around when needed. And the old boom he had was limited to about 6-8 ft coverage.

Remember this is just a hypothetical.

The 26 gallon units you can get at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool have served me well from the back of my mule

Southern States has a 25 gal model that puts out 100 PSI...It will shoot 30' for spot spraying or run 4 fan tips on a 9' boom for 12' coverage or a single boomless for about 10' coverage.

I would think that a Kin of Doug's would call ThunderChicken and ask where a person might find needed item in that he visits more farms than most in a week. Just sayn', if we hadn 't met at Ralph's 2 yrs ago, and I hadn't lived in Clarendon cty ofr 24 yrs I would not say any thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I would think that a Kin of Doug's would call ThunderChicken and ask where a person might find needed item in that he visits more farms than most in a week. Just sayn', if we hadn 't met at Ralph's 2 yrs ago, and I hadn't lived in Clarendon cty ofr 24 yrs I would not say any thing.
    I'll hit him up. Might see him in the am. Or at least his brother.

Didn't know southern states carried them. I'll check them out. Thanks Swift.

I would suggest that he not run over his sprayer with a tractor.

I’ve got a fimco 25 gallon tank that does what I need it to do. I think it was under $200 from ag south in Florence. I don’t know how it will hold up if it’s used a lot, but so far mine has worked when I needed it to

I got a 26 gallon boomless sprayer from northern tool a couple months ago. I really like the fact that the pump is on the side and it has a filter.

Wass, Williamsburg ag spray supply in Kingstree has all sizes and boomless.

Perfect I'll be over there this morning

Quote Originally Posted by duckfan44 View Post
    Wass, Williamsburg ag spray supply in Kingstree has all sizes and boomless.
    That’s what I was going to suggest. Good people.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Perfect I'll be over there this morning
    hope you're riding with someone....and not actually driving yourself.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    That’s what I was going to suggest. Good people.
    Thanks.

your welcome

see what I did there?

I've been using mine a lot lately. It's a 25 gallon with three nozzle boomless. It has a 5 GPM pump and I have the whole thing mounted on a 3 pt hitch carryall with a separate battery. I can also use it on my ATV, plugged into the cigarette lighter, for spraying fire lanes and spot spraying when I burn. I can spray about a 22' swath and reach probably 30' with the spot wand. At 5 mph and full pressure, it uses 10 gallons per acre, which makes coverage calculations pretty easy.

I like boomless because I can spray wider than the 11.5' boom that is available for this rig and I don't have to worry about hitting the boom on turns but it is less precise and a bit more prone to wind drift. I can turn off each nozzle independently if I want to spray a field edge only off one side or shut off the middle nozzle to spray the brush hanging into the fire lanes. This was useful in my dove field when I need to spray different chemicals on sunflowers and not the adjacent corn. I could straddle the last couple rows of corn and spray back into the flowers without getting it on the corn. With a more precise boom however, I could have probably just sprayed the flowers and run closer to the edge of the corn.

I prefer having an electric pump instead of a PTO pump because it puts out consistent pressure regardless of engine RPMs and because it's much easier to clean and maintain.

Some of these rigs are sold with a small 1.5 GPM pump. Go bigger. Not sure I'd go with a 5 GPM because it draws a good bit more amps. Check what your mule can provide in terms of generator output and wiring. It's close to max for my ATV cigarette lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    The 26 gallon units you can get at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool have served me well from the back of my mule

What I have, got mine at Northern Tool. Works good however I did change all those plastic fittings out with brass . They seemed to leak a little if you ever try and tighten them too much .

I've had a Filmco for 25 years. I made a boom out of PVC pipe. I can switch nozzles and do row crops. I also used it for liquid nitrogen on corn.

These sprayer pumps have no metal parts. Bleach is the only chemical that can hurt the diaphram.

Part can be obtained easily.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've been using mine a lot lately. It's a 25 gallon with three nozzle boomless. It has a 5 GPM pump and I have the whole thing mounted on a 3 pt hitch carryall with a separate battery. I can also use it on my ATV, plugged into the cigarette lighter, for spraying fire lanes and spot spraying when I burn. I can spray about a 22' swath and reach probably 30' with the spot wand. At 5 mph and full pressure, it uses 10 gallons per acre, which makes coverage calculations pretty easy.

I like boomless because I can spray wider than the 11.5' boom that is available for this rig and I don't have to worry about hitting the boom on turns but it is less precise and a bit more prone to wind drift. I can turn off each nozzle independently if I want to spray a field edge only off one side or shut off the middle nozzle to spray the brush hanging into the fire lanes. This was useful in my dove field when I need to spray different chemicals on sunflowers and not the adjacent corn. I could straddle the last couple rows of corn and spray back into the flowers without getting it on the corn. With a more precise boom however, I could have probably just sprayed the flowers and run closer to the edge of the corn.

I prefer having an electric pump instead of a PTO pump because it puts out consistent pressure regardless of engine RPMs and because it's much easier to clean and maintain.

Some of these rigs are sold with a small 1.5 GPM pump. Go bigger. Not sure I'd go with a 5 GPM because it draws a good bit more amps. Check what your mule can provide in terms of generator output and wiring. It's close to max for my ATV cigarette lighter.
    Good write up and exactly what I was looking for. I like the idea of the carryall and battery for more flexibility.

Guy took care of me at Williamsburg ag spray. I went with a very similar setup. 4gpm motor with the ability to spray left, right, middle or any configuration. I like the 3 spray option as it will still let me use it for the yard where I want to be more precise.

until you run over it

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    until you run over it
    This one is bright yellow. And I paid too much to ever put it in the bucket on the tractor.

But you'll be happy to know my little boy was quick to throw me under the bus on why we needed a new one.