Thread: What's the right piece of equipment?

Default What's the right piece of equipment?

Need to clean up a 5 acre lot outside of florence that was cleared about 20yrs ago and abandoned about 5 years ago. There are a few large stumps to be removed, but the majority of this will just be dragging, cutting down small under growth and grading about an acre for a homesite.

I have access to a ~40hp kubota but thinking a skidsteer or small dozer might be a better set up. Looked at rental prices through sunbelt and would rather buy something in the area of $10k to use on my schedule(multiple weekends) and then sell when done.

Am I overthinking this? Can I get by with the kubota and maybe a few attachments? Kubota has a bucket and backhoe
    Last edited by Iefstath; 05-14-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Word to the wise, rent that stuff and let someone else deal with the headaches. Rent a decent size mini-ex to dig and pull the stumps. Return it and have them bring you a decent size skid steer. Or find someone with a 953 to do what you want. Owning old, used equipment is a PITA, fixing it is expensive and selling it means you’re probably going to lose money.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Owning old, used equipment is a PITA, fixing it is expensive and selling it means you’re probably going to lose money.
    I learned this the hard way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd listen to Salty...

What I was afraid of...hate to burn cash on a rental, i guess i need to make sure i get as much prep done so i can get straight to the heavy lifting. Sunbelt is ~$1500 a week

I went with the opposite thought process. When I was building my house and putting in a pool I knew I was going to need a machine for eight or nine months. No way I wanted that rental bill. So I bought a skid steer. Used it another seven or eight years and then sold it. I would do it again the same way.

rent an excavator that has a blade and thumb
    borrow a portable fuel tank

have fun!

Trackhoe and I'd hire a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    this will certainly suffice
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Not sure what you mean by cut 20 years ago and abandoned 5 years ago. And sounds like you just want to clear a house spot and not plant it?

You mention mostly small underbrush. Have you thought about hiring someone to come out with a mulcher blade on a skidsteer. That will clear up the underbrush while giving you a mulch bed amongst the trees. It's impressive to watch someone work these machines when they know what they are doing. You or I wouldn't be near as efficient. And I doubt many people rent them due to the cost of the blades.

I'm thinking multi-step process. Skidsteer with mulcher and then come in with excavator and stump it. Once clean, grade it out the way you want it.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    And I doubt many people rent them due to the cost of the blades.
    80 percent of the people that want (I say want because most rental places do not rent them) to rent them have no business running a tractor and bush hog, much less a SS drum mulcher.

Edit: If you hire someone who knows what they are doing, you shouldn't have to stump it when they get done mulching it.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 05-15-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Just watched a couple videos of a skidsteer with mulched, that thing is a serious piece of equipment....and would handle everything but the grading. Guess I need to see if I can rent one, I'd prefer to do the work/play myself but seems it may be hard to find someone that rents those

Bobcat rents them. Last time we rented one it was 900 a day.

My cousin bought one, it's been playing at our place for a couple weeks now.

I called him also when I bought property and started building. He brought a large excavator, that's all he needed.. and I believe anyone with skill could clear or stump with one quicker. That, and I brought a box blade over on a little tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iefstath View Post
    Just watched a couple videos of a skidsteer with mulched, that thing is a serious piece of equipment....and would handle everything but the grading. Guess I need to see if I can rent one, I'd prefer to do the work/play myself but seems it may be hard to find someone that rents those
    They will eat up some pines but hardwood slows it down a lot

I have a professional bring in a forestry mulched for a day. You’ll be out $1300 and he will Be able take care of the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    This.

Have him pile it up and burn if possible. Hauling debris is too expensive.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk