Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which cellular trail camera?

i'm sure thats true. but, what have they done all these years? Are cameras available to make up for poor scouting/hunting acumen? I sure think so.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    much like a doorbell camera, I'm not exactly sure why anyone would have to have this technology.

I like checking and moving cameras. and please dont start with the "leaving scent and disturbing the critter" argument. it wont fly.
    Because I like the true time data. It gives me the advantage of being able to develop a true time pattern. I don’t want to have to go check my camera and find info that happened on Monday. If I would have known it happened on Monday I could have killed him on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Because I like the true time data. It gives me the advantage of being able to develop a true time pattern. I don’t want to have to go check my camera and find info that happened on Monday. If I would have known it happened on Monday I could have killed him on Tuesday.
    That's my concern with the cell cameras. I get your point about seeing he was there on Monday and can make plans to go sit Tuesday morning.

But if we're being honest, I suspect there are hunters (not saying it's you) that are using them to hunt real time. It wouldn't be that hard to sneak into a field where you knew the buck was in. Or use the camera to help you identify the deer when it was too dark to do so from the stand. Or even to see when a buck is in a specific bed he uses.

Now with that being said I can think of a couple spots on my place that I would love to be able to get pictures out of without going into.

i cant hunt on tuesdays.
    and people with game cams make poor choices bc they got "the big one" on camera. I bet you screw up more deer by knowing they are there than hunting the right stand with the right wind.

just my opinion. I'm kinda done with deer hunting. I just like to eat them.

I bet you screw up more deer by knowing they are there than hunting the right stand with the right wind.

just my opinion.
    old skool wisdom right there
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I use cameras because I like to look at pictures of deer. I also want to know what bucks are on the farm. I have never used a camera as a true hunting tool. However, the last thing I want to do is stink up a place checking on a camera. I am extremely careful about ingress and egress, as well as hunting the right wind. That's why the cell cameras appeal to me.
    Carolina Counsel

Forgot to ask, has any company come up with a competitive cameras system vis a vis the Cuddeback daisy chain system? I really want to try a similar system but just haven't heard good things about the Cuddebacks. Anyone know whether Cuddeback has improved their system from last year?
    Carolina Counsel

Cuddeback works well for me.

I'm kinda done with deer hunting. I just like to eat them.
    I'll come shoot doves with you, while the others deer hunt.

I'm even good for one back pat
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

i cant hunt on tuesdays.
    and people with game cams make poor choices bc they got "the big one" on camera. I bet you screw up more deer by knowing they are there than hunting the right stand with the right wind.

just my opinion. I'm kinda done with deer hunting. I just like to eat them.
    Come on 2th you are assuming stuff now and you know what they say about that. Just because I have him on a certain camera does not mean I’m going to throw caution to the wind. I ALWAYS hunt the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Forgot to ask, has any company come up with a competitive cameras system vis a vis the Cuddeback daisy chain system? I really want to try a similar system but just haven't heard good things about the Cuddebacks. Anyone know whether Cuddeback has improved their system from last year?

I had them and they absolutely sucked in every facet. Picture, battery life, and detection. They daisy chained but it took for ever. I sold them on archery talk. I am a tech geek and they were complicated to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    That's my concern with the cell cameras. I get your point about seeing he was there on Monday and can make plans to go sit Tuesday morning.

But if we're being honest, I suspect there are hunters (not saying it's you) that are using them to hunt real time. It wouldn't be that hard to sneak into a field where you knew the buck was in. Or use the camera to help you identify the deer when it was too dark to do so from the stand. Or even to see when a buck is in a specific bed he uses.

Now with that being said I can think of a couple spots on my place that I would love to be able to get pictures out of without going into.
    This is why in some states they are not considered fair chase.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-15-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Well I ordered a spypoint that should be here tomorrow, I'll put it on a property that holds some good deer but I don't get a chance to check on it as often. I may still try a couple of those coverts on my farm in some spots that are more difficult to access. Other than that I plan on sticking with my normal Browning cameras, I have no use in running cellular cameras on stands that have to be baited every 4 days or so.

i cant hunt on tuesdays.
    Lot of truth in that statement. Cameras can make people waste time on one stand and neglect the ones they should have been hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Cuddeback copied or tried too Buckeye.

It is a piss poor copy.

Bucket was the first daisy chain system that worked.

They are really ATSI which is the company that made all the cameras for the government out on the border back before Big ears did away with trying catch illegals.

There are so many advantages I can’t even start on why cameras that transmit are far superior too traditional cameras.

I’ve dedicated a large portion of my life and finances to growing big deer in SC.

This by far is one of the greatest tool in monitoring and growing big bucks.

I’m sure I could see it being used for I’ll
    Gotten reward but so could so much other stuff.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

i drive right up to some of my cameras when I am using corn. Granted, my favorite use of a camera is on a communal scrape or signpost rub.

The biggest buck in the area is ofter the FIRST deer to the corn later that evening.

I guess some of this talk about scent and staying out of camera zones is not factual....but who wants to ruin a good opinion?

I agree with the scent argument

They are animals and certainly can be trained

If your dumping food when your checking they will become use to it and almost
    Coming to see what’s up

They are very curious animals

There is no mystery to deer but most people make it that way
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot