Thread: Milorganite

Default Milorganite

Anyone ever use Milorganite to keep deer out of your gardens? If so, does it work?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

It works. Not sure I would put it in my garden on food I planned to eat. Even beyond the food aspect, the wife will not be impressed when she comes home and smells it next to the house.

We put it on the greens at the golf course, I crack up at the golfers reaction to the smell.

It works short term but is not a long-term fix
    80-20 Genaration

Works in my garden.

It definitely works but must be reapplied every 10 to 14 days. If you can't smell it anymore, it won't deter deer.

Rain activated it and also deactivates it, expect about four weeks life, Depending upon the amount of rain.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

It works. It is a low grade nitrogen and have used it for years. I got to the point where just bit the bullet and fenced off my produce section (garden). I just put out a batch this weekend mixed with copious amounts of cayenne pepper around the fence and my back yard to see if it deters the armadillos. Those bastards have been ruthless. Is it armadillo rut or something?

Palmetto Organics Pro-Plot is the same thing, but pelletized, so it lasts twice as long. Orange urg Milling has it.

Years ago I was putting it out via spreader on a tractor, a quick summer storm caught me, it dampened the poo dust that was all over me. It stunk. They use it on our course or something similar, it's ripe. We've actually got around a couple tons of it we're about to use on the farm, and wouldn't use it if we didn't think it would work. Using it on wildlife food, I'm not going to use it near plants growing food for people.

I would only use poconite on an area I couldnt otherwise fence deer out of.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for all the info, it's for a food plot that I have for deer. I have a few crab apple trees and persimmon trees that they are eating all the new growth. I have sunflowers planted that they are munching on along with anything else green.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

poconite for the flowers.

probably gonna have to build an exclosure for the trees.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i don’t put it direct on anything for consumption (produce), just the perimeter. For deer plots/dove fields, hold it to it. It will at least allow for plant establishment. You have to stay on top of it though in early stages. If it’s not fenced, mother nature always wins