Thread: "There's No Such Thing As a Good Dog"

Default "There's No Such Thing As a Good Dog"

Here's a good article that's worth reading. The author makes some very interesting, and, I think, accurate points to think about.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I only skimmed this, but I disagree with some of what he says.

Training, socialization, and exposure to diverse experiences and places are vital in raising a dog. But....

We have bred dogs for temperament/disposition, obedience, willingness to work, etc. That’s why we get them. There are some that will be more reserved, and vice versa. Some will be more willing to follow vs needing to lead.

It’s important to meet the parents of your potential pup for many reasons.....
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    I only skimmed this, but I disagree with some of what he says.

Training, socialization, and exposure to diverse experiences and places are vital in raising a dog. But....

We have bred dogs for temperament/disposition, obedience, willingness to work, etc. That’s why we get them. There are some that will be more reserved, and vice versa. Some will be more willing to follow vs needing to lead.

It’s important to meet the parents of your potential pup for many reasons.....
    I completely agree with you, which is why I said...

"The author makes some very interesting, and, I think, accurate points to think about."

I think the key point(s) that many/most "non-hunting" dog owners don't pay enough attention to is the socialization and obedience training. I cringe all the time when I read posts on places like FB where people want to 'rehome' their dogs for a multitude of reasons, yet they claim them to be the 'best dog in the world', yada... yada...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'