Thread: Permit applications online

Default Permit applications online

The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) will begin accepting online applications for the 2019 Public Alligator Hunting season at www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/alligator/index.html. It is estimated that more than 100,000 alligators live from the Midlands to the coast of South Carolina and the population is not threatened by the regulated removal of a relatively small number of alligators. Last year, hunters took 337 alligators during the public alligator hunting season, with the average size being just under nine feet in length.A $10 nonrefundable application fee is required to apply for the Public Lands Hunt. A randomized computer drawing based on a preference point system will determine the selection of hunters. Applicants can only apply and pay fees online or at one of the walk-up counters at an SCDNR Regional Office in Clemson, Florence, Columbia, or Charleston. No paper applications will be accepted. This year’s season will begin at 12 p.m. (noon) on Sept. 14 and run until 12 p.m. (noon) on Oct. 12. The deadline to apply is 5:00pm on June 15th.

If selected, a $100 fee for the permit and one harvest tag is required to be paid online through the same online alligator hunting application system. Unsuccessful applicants will accumulate preference points for future alligator hunt drawings. Preference points add to the likelihood of being drawn in future years. All hunters will be notified beginning in mid-July of their selection status.

Hunters participating in the Public Alligator Hunting Season may take alligators in public waters and on private land where permission is granted, but alligator hunting is prohibited on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and USFWS Wildlife Refuges. In addition, public alligator season permits cannot be used on lands enrolled in the Private Lands Alligator Program.

By law, the fees collected are used to support the Alligator Management Program’s research and management activities, and for conservation of the American Alligator in South Carolina.

Only alligators four feet or greater in length may be taken and the hunter must tag the animal immediately with a harvest tag provided by SCDNR for any of the alligator hunting programs. This hunting season does not allow the shooting of unsecured alligators, even on private land. All alligators must be secured using approved equipment and brought boat-side or onto land before they can be dispatched. While others may assist the permitted hunter, all participants (including permittee) must possess a valid South Carolina hunting license.

In addition to the required S.C. hunting license, application, and permit fees, all nonresident alligator hunters are required to pay an added nonresident alligator hunting fee of $200 before going afield. This fee is valid for participation in any of the alligator hunting programs. The nonresident alligator hunting fee is also required for any nonresident alligator hunting assistants 16 years of age or older.

SCDNR will closely monitor these hunts and the harvest and regulations may be modified for future seasons. Please check the SCDNR website at www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/alligator/index.html for any changes and updates.

This will be my third year applying. Haven't gotten a tag yet but most
    tell me the third year is usually it...….have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    This will be my third year applying. Haven't gotten a tag yet but most
    tell me the third year is usually it...….have no idea
    I went six before I got one... Used to piss me off to be watching the outdoor channel and seeing these people that own these hunting reserves taking off to go hunt gators in SC..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They need to be like hogs. Shot on sight.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    They need to be like hogs. Shot on sight.
    They aren't in your AO?

Anyone familiar with nuisance permits? Let’s say I have one and the secured yes/no line of the permit is not specified either way. Is that good enough to shoot without securing or should I secure first just to be on the safe side?

I had five points last year, prior to applying. I let them all go. Gator hunting isn’t enjoyable anymore like it used to be.

Seriously??? I drew mine the first two years I applied, which was the first two seasons. Had no idea there was such demand. Didn’t do anything for me.

Same. We hit em hard the first two seasons. The shine quickly wore off that penny.

Killed one and that’s enough to last me a lifetime.

I'm buying a point every year so that when my children are old enough, we can go kill one, and ensure they will never want to do it again
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I took part in killing three, one for me and helped a couple buddys get theirs. I have absolutely no desire to make a trip specifically to kill a nasty ass alligator any more. If anyone wants a absolute monster, he is right by the DNR boat ramp on the Cooper River. I've seen him twice in that curve and I don't believe I've ever seen a bigger one.

I've been on one gator hunt with someone else that had a tag (didn't kill). I've put in a few times, including this year, and haven't drawn. I'd like to kill one.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I'm buying a point every year so that when my children are old enough, we can go kill one, and ensure they will never want to do it again
    my strategy as well

Probably going to take longer than three years to get drawn now. DNR is rolling the WMA accrued points into the public land points. One WMA point is worth 1.5 in the public land draw. Also, starting before last season, if you forgot to apply or just didn't apply, you still retain your points. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 6+ points to get drawn now.

Not worth it to me. Life too short to waste 6 years to try and kill one. If i wanted one that bad id just go to FL and go kill one. Ive killed my share helping with depredation permits. It doesnt live up to the hype imo
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I've been on one gator hunt with someone else that had a tag (didn't kill). I've put in a few times, including this year, and haven't drawn. I'd like to kill one.
    You don’t need a state licensed tag to kill an alligator bo.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

image.jpg
    One and done.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You don’t need a state licensed tag to kill an alligator bo.
    Allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    image.jpg
    One and done.
    I like that. I just want one also with a son or two in tow
    I applied tonight, this will be my 4th year trying I believe

A couple years ago I had a buddy from Australia want to tag along on one while he was in town. Told him it was $200 for him just to tag along and he said screw that, he'd go home and chase crocs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.