Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Garden Thread

Default 2019 Garden Thread

Mater seedlings are getting their true leaves, peppers seedlings are breaking the ground, and lettuce and carrots are still growing in the garden. Won't be too long until everything is in the ground. Hopefully this is the last of the cold.

I hope it's the last of it. Cant it be spring all year? Ready to get the garden going already.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Mater seedlings are getting their true leaves, peppers seedlings are breaking the ground, and lettuce and carrots are still growing in the garden. Won't be too long until everything is in the ground. Hopefully this is the last of the cold.
    Did you direct seed your tomatos and peppers or are you starting them indoors?

I started them inside to get a head start. I tell myself that it helps me get more tomatoes before it gets too hot for them to produce as well. Probably doesn't make a big difference overall.

I had one heck of a stand of henbit started but decided to till it under about 3 weeks ago during the only dry week we've had the last 6 months. Not sure when it will be dry enough to even try to start this year. Methinks we are in for a dry summer.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

i think it depends on the seed...and how much fun you have watching them grow.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

don't know if I'll plant one this year or if I do I'll deff not mess with sweet corn or peas again. Stick with cucumbers, maters, peppers and squash.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Methinks we are in for a dry summer.
    I'm with Spur on this one.

Skipped last year but will do it again this year. Like phoneman i wont do sweet corn. Cheaper to buy it. Out of Roma beans and tomatoes from year before last so it’s time to can again.

So when y’all planting.

8 rows of corn in last week.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Something to share to fellow gardeners...

A couple years back I nerded out pretty serious on a pitcher plant bog garden.
    A circular dig about 10ft in diameter.

Filled it with pitcher plants I split from Santee11’s existing bog and others I bought online.

Fast forward to my veggie garden. Just because of space and sunlight, my veggie garden was built right next to my bog.

I’ve listened to friends ramble on about pests in their garden and pondered why I had none.

My pitchers and sundews are full of normal veggie garden pests.

If anyone asks, I planned the whole thing
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Night time temps are still too cold in my area...I had a light frost again this morning. I started my seedlings indoors around the same time I do every year. They are getting almost too big and need to go into the ground soon!

Looks good Spur and That is neat info Bog!

Yep but my peas, taters and lettuce is cookin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Picked the first few strawberries yesterday from a perenial dedicated bed, squash and zucs are getting their first true leaves, cucumbers are out of the ground, some early planted kitchen potatoes are almost knee high, and a 4' jalapeno "tree" that overwintered in ground is leafing out well with new growth. Fall planted onions are showing great top growth, now the wait for them to bulb up.

Although winter never hit us hard enough in the lowcountry for a banner duck season, the gardener in me didn't mind it.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Just started getting the soil ready for my garden this weekend. I'm going to get the potatoes in real soon, and then I'm going to plant my warm weather crops by the end of April.
    Last edited by Gardening; 04-14-2019 at 07:28 PM.

My tomatoes are a foot tall after the last week of warm weather. I'm going to get them and okra into the ground in the next day or two. Peppers are still slow but coming along. Zucchini is jumping, too.

Moving in a month and watching my current garden filling in with grass is killing me. Might get some late crop in at the new house, depends on soil...

I will be eating lettuce, snow peas by Thursday and the taters are bout 3' and rollin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Habanero, Jalapeno, Ghost Peppers, Zucchini, Squash round my way. Guy at work got me some red okra seeds. Going to give them a try along with some regular ole Clemson spineless. Wife has a helluva herb garden.
    "run and gun guide service"