Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey bill

Default Turkey bill

Did it pass? It makes my eyes cross trying to read through everything on the legislature site. I THINK I’m reading:

1&2: April 5- May 10, 1/day, 1 first week or so, 3 total

3&4: March 25- April 30th, same as above

I’m in the piedmont in 2. No point in trying to hunt my place after about April 25 unless I want to spend a day bush hogging. Too overgrown by then

Interesting topic. Anyone want to explain how fun May hunting is?

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    The best hunting I have had all year to be honest. I work outside heat does not bother me.

Yea May sucks it pretty much done here in the low country. Very little gobbling going on and hens have disappeared but that doesn’t matter they got it all figured out by results of one bS study so I’m sure we’re going to get screwed.
    80-20 Genaration

Birds gobbled hard here in Hampton Co last week.....today is May 6th.
    One bird (Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning) gobbled 250 times from 7pm to 7am.....
    The birds spread out more and are often not in the traditional roost areas but it's not like they suddenly know it's 4 days after our traditional season closure and stop gobbling people!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I know it’s warmer. But any of you complaining about May hunting haul ass to the deer stand in August or bow stand in Sept or dove field Sept 1.? I don’t like them changing it up either off one study. But complaining about the heat....???? And I killed a bird Sat morning, gobbling up in the morning. Three others were gobbling on the roost.
    Last edited by Palmetto Duck; 05-06-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Those of you under the assumption the proposed changes are based solely on the Webb Center research are grossly mistaken!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

^^agreed. buncha pussies up in here.

shot one saturday morning straight off the roost. came in gobbling and strutting the whole way. may hunting is the shit.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Birds gobbled hard here in Hampton Co last week.....today is May 6th.
    One bird (Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning) gobbled 250 times from 7pm to 7am.....
    The birds spread out more and are often not in the traditional roost areas but it's not like they suddenly know it's 4 days after our traditional season closure and stop gobbling people!
    This. I killed a bird Saturday morning in Hampton Co. that gobbled 15x before I shot him at 6:37am lol. Went Sunday morning with a member here and we were on a hot bird off the roost. He gobbled a ton, still had hens. Saw a strutter with 4 hens in some pines off 321 in Luray Sunday morning as well.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 05-06-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Bunch of Sally's up in here. The most fired up bird I dealt with and shot all season was on May 1st and he was dead at 6:20 AM in the LC
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 05-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

It looks like the House committee amended the Senate bill and that result will be before the full House tomorrow (5/7). I would expect it to be passed and sent to the Senate, where it will probably also be passed. This current version says 3/22-4/30 (GZ-3/4) and 4/1-5/10 (GZ-1/2)... They see that as a compromise between 3/20 and 3/25, I think. This also shows a daily bag limit of one with only one in the first 10 days of each of the two areas. The tags cost would now be $5 for three Resident tags and $100 for two Non-Resident tags. DNR must implement an electronic harvest reporting system.

Last couple of years people were mad that they were trying to make changes without any data to back them up. So they did a study with pretty conclusive evidence and now people are mad it's based on one bs study. Seems about right.

I'll take 15 days in May over 15 days in March
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    One of the best hunts I had all season was last Friday May 3rd. 100 plus gobbles as I watched my buddy kill his 1st one for the season.

I am sure we can all come up with stories to support our position.

I watched a jake and a young gobbler with two hens sunday morning. never gobbled. never strutted.

I did not hear a bird gobble more than once this weekend. It was a lackluster ending to a good season.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Still Gobbling strong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    It looks like the House committee amended the Senate bill and that result will be before the full House tomorrow (5/7). I would expect it to be passed and sent to the Senate, where it will probably also be passed. This current version says 3/22-4/30 (GZ-3/4) and 4/1-5/10 (GZ-1/2)... They see that as a compromise between 3/20 and 3/25, I think. This also shows a daily bag limit of one with only one in the first 10 days of each of the two areas. The tags cost would now be $5 for three Resident tags and $100 for two Non-Resident tags. DNR must implement an electronic harvest reporting system.
    Thank you for the update. I also struggled a little to understand what is on the website with all the strike thru stuff.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Yes Tuffy, thanks for the clarification.

Are those dates just for private land? Or public and private?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn