Thread: Drug- Resistant Heartworms

Default Drug- Resistant Heartworms

Just got a call from a buddy of mine that says his dog has tested positive for heartworms despite monthly treatment with ivermectin based products.

Vet told him that there is a new "Super Heartworm" that is resistant to standard preventatives.

Would love to hear what our local dog docs have to say about it or any research they have seen on the subject. I'll be talking to my vet at our next appt about what we need to, if anything.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 05-02-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

If it isn't mentioned in here then it's blown smoke...

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/newsroom

Heartworm preventative is not now and never has been 100% effective at preventing heartworm infestations but it's pretty darn close. There are certain preventatives we do not recommend because we have had multiple positive cases despite diligent use according to label directions. The main two are Revolution and Pro-Heart injectable.

My guess is one of three scenarios; 1) your friends dog falls within that small percentage of positive cases despite regular and diligent use of veterinary prescribed preventative, 2) he was dosing his dog himself with feedstore ivomec and messed that up or 3) he either stopped giving it for a period time or wasn't consistent with use of the preventative.

There are no super heartworms of which I am aware. Below is a statement on resistance...

https://d3ft8sckhnqim2.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1394061671

shoulda used KRT
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Nematodus caninidae

My dog was on Heartguard when I lived in Mississippi and was diagnosed with heartworm infestation. Vet had records of when I had bought meds and the manufacturer paid for treatment. Vet told me about a similar resistance that was suspected in that area of the country.

As Glenn pointed out, even in the absence of "resistance" no preventative is 100% effective. I always buy meds from the vet instead of using some of the cheaper options so that the vet can back me up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    shoulda used KRT
    Agreed. KRT has been taking care of my hound since we got him out of diapers. My truck has been running better just by driving up there. It's worth the drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

This has been a big problem up and down the Mississippi for the last 8-10 years way above the average that Glenn talked about. I started giving my dog 1/10 of a cc per 10 pounds once a month. I have a 5, 11 and 15 year old and had no troubles
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Heartworm preventative is not now and never has been 100% effective at preventing heartworm infestations but it's pretty darn close. There are certain preventatives we do not recommend because we have had multiple positive cases despite diligent use according to label directions. The main two are Revolution and Pro-Heart injectable.

My guess is one of three scenarios; 1) your friends dog falls within that small percentage of positive cases despite regular and diligent use of veterinary prescribed preventative, 2) he was dosing his dog himself with feedstore ivomec and messed that up or 3) he either stopped giving it for a period time or wasn't consistent with use of the preventative.

There are no super heartworms of which I am aware. Below is a statement on resistance...

This right here. I always caution people with using dosing ivermectin themselves without having consulted a veterinarian. I had a young boxer that came to me at 9 months old with neurological signs. The owner (an engineer) was told to give a 40x overdose from the breeder and had done so for several months.

Unfortunately the dog didn’t make it, despite hospitalization and intensive care.
    Last edited by abarill; 05-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Well said. The one that gets me is when people brag about how long the bottle/tube of ivermectin last. I can only imagine how some people store it during that time. That and if a little is good. A little more is even better.

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/new...is-it-possible

Mash that and get educated. Heartworm prevention has to be given monthly to be effective. Annual heartworm test need to be done on your dog. A slip of 40-45 days between doses could be enough to let larvae slip thru its susceptible stage. I see heartworm positive dogs several times a day. Most dogs that are given "ivomec" will eventually pop up positive. I suspect dosing and compliance in these cases.

Interested to know what product and dose your friend was using?

Damn engineers