Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tagged Out With A Double Beard

Default Tagged Out With A Double Beard

I didn't intend to do the TFC style end of the year summary, but I haven't had time to post much. I shot the first bird this year on March 23rd. Birds weren't where I expected, so I had to cover a lot of ground to get to them. When I got there, 5 were on the other side of an uncrossable swamp. I heard a few gobbles on my side of the swamp, so I called once and waited. 20 minutes later, he came poking through the woods.

I hit another property two weeks ago, and I heard a domino effect of gobbles 3/4 of a mile across a huge field. I made my way around it and played cat and mouse with 6 gobblers for an hour and a half before they worked into range. I shot the strutter before I got to shaking too much.

I got the invite to hunt a friend's land last week. He hadn't killed a turkey in 9 years and wasn't sure if there were birds on his land still. We went out on Saturday and found one right where he was supposed to be. On the second setup, he gobbled at 25 yards and popped up looking, and my friend cut him a backflip.

We hunted another property Sunday, and there was nothing going on close. There was a 300 acre clearcut across the paved road/property boundary, and there were a few faint gobbles coming from the creek bottom 800 yards away. I called as loud as I could and heard a gobble halfway to us 20 minutes later. It ended up being two gobblers and a hen that went back and forth around 100 yards from the road. I tried calling sparingly, but the birds moved off. I started calling more and mimicking the hen, and after 45 minutes of constant calling without a break longer than 30 seconds, one gobbled close, appeared at the edge of the road, ran across, missed getting run over by a few feet by a truck going 60, and made it into the woods on our side. I shot him (and a tree) at 20 yards. He was the biggest of the season with a 1 1/4" spur, a 1 5/16" spur, 11" beard, and 9" beard. Ended last season with a double beard, too.

Fine Job!

good killin tubesocks
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

good stuff Nickles
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Great season!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Nice work, congrats on a great season!

Very nice! Talk to me about the spurs. What's the preservation/cleaning process? I always lose my caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Awesome!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Nice work!

like it

Congrats on a great season!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

you have one of the spurs backwards
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Spurs are correct. One was hooked up and the other down. I just cut them off with a jigsaw, cut and peel the skin and meat off with a knife, and use a Dremel to square up the bone and clean everything else up.

Nice work
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Is this what yal wanted my jigsaw for?

cant wait to see the 1.25" ones when you get them on there...

just kidding
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 04-30-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No you weren't. Meanie.

Congrats, good season. I killed a bird last year with one up/one down 1.25" spurs. We laughed, figured he was hell on his opponents. Pic is for proof.
    IMG_0897.jpg
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Awesome!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Fine job!!
    More fuel = more boost!!