Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Teacher walkout

Is there anybody here that wouldn't like a raise?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Puh-reach.....
    Good to see I’m not the only one that hates those sand peaches.

Default Teacher walkout

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Serious question, what is the costs of getting a masters degree these days?
    Depends on the program. But a lot of educators weigh out the benefit of the pay increase reaching the masters tier versus the monthly payment on their student loan(s). There is a threshold where one will not reach a point of seeing a return on the investment if the degree is attained too late in the educator’s career.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 05-01-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Depends on the program. But a lot of educators weigh out the benefit of the pay increase reaching the masters tier versus the monthly payment on their student loan(s). There is a threshold where one will not reach a point of seeing a return on the investment of the degree is attained too late in the educator’s career.
    My wife went back for her masters about 2 years after we got married. I want to say it cost about 14k through Columbia College. Online and weekend courses. At the time, I think it added about 2500ish to her yearly salary, but doing the math, according to the pay schedule that was current at the time it would add about 100k as a career total if she continued teaching until she could retire. and then pension is calculated based on a percentage of the average of your top couple earning years. so it definitely pays for it self if you get it early in your teaching career.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    My wife went back for her masters about 2 years after we got married. I want to say it cost about 14k through Columbia College. Online and weekend courses. At the time, I think it added about 2500ish to her yearly salary, but doing the math, according to the pay schedule that was current at the time it would add about 100k as a career total if she continued teaching until she could retire. and then pension is calculated based on a percentage of the average of your top couple earning years. so it definitely pays for it self if you get it early in your teaching career.
    did it make her a teacher more deserving of a higher pay or was it just a financial investment in a hoop you could choose to jump through to make more money? or both? sounds like a wise decision on her part but a typical inefficient government way to determine skill based compensation.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I’m lol’ing at a lot of posts on this thread. And my sister is a guidance counselor and my brother in law is a principal.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    did it make her a teacher more deserving of a higher pay or was it just a financial investment in a hoop you could choose to jump through to make more money? or both? sounds like a wise decision on her part but a typical inefficient government way to determine skill based compensation.
    99% of the Master's degrees teachers get are BS. Most of them are online and add no value to the teacher. It's just a way to get paid more, nothing else. For what it's worth my wife was a school teacher.

The Republican control legislative scammed us again with the lottery. When lobbying for allocation of funds the state colleges had lobbyists working for them while K-12 had little support. They cannot reverse spending now because tuition is so high due to predatory student loan spending. Then school boards gerrymandering attendance zones is another issue.

Until teachers are on board with vouchers they are hard to support. I see a majority afraid of competition. The good teachers would win the bad ones lose.

I understand teaching is a labor of love for many and they will take the lumps to do what the love and fight for better. But with my tax dollars I am practical.

Anyone that home schools or uses private schools deserves a tax credit. Any parent with a disruptive child deserves a tax penalty.

It is amazing at the students that are suspended from public school then go to private school and learn how to behave when on the parents dime.

If a teacher is not a principal or an assistant by mid-40’s they likely chose the wrong career path if salary was a major goal or the stress zapped them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Anyone that home schools or uses private schools deserves a tax credit. Any parent with a disruptive child deserves a tax penalty.

It is amazing at the students that are suspended from public school then go to private school and learn how to behave when on the parents dime.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. My son going to private school wasn't my choice, but I signed away that decision in my divorce decree. Don't get me wrong, I want the best for my son. The way I rationalize the check is I am paying for my son to have classmates whose parents have a vested interest in their childrens education. His schoolmates parents, for the most part, are middle class. It's not like some private schools where the rich parents send little johnny off to be a shithead knowing they won't kick him out bc daddy is some big wig in town or politics.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I think some of you need to go to the councilors office.

Did anyone get any pics from the Vista this afternoon?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Is there anybody here that wouldn't like a raise?
    I don't want a raise or bonuses. It isn't worth the taxes. I prefer equity over cash. I declined a job with a higher salary in favor of more equity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    The Republican control legislative scammed us again with the lottery. When lobbying for allocation of funds the state colleges had lobbyists working for them while K-12 had little support. They cannot reverse spending now because tuition is so high due to predatory student loan spending. Then school boards gerrymandering attendance zones is another issue.

Until teachers are on board with vouchers they are hard to support. I see a majority afraid of competition. The good teachers would win the bad ones lose.

I understand teaching is a labor of love for many and they will take the lumps to do what the love and fight for better. But with my tax dollars I am practical.

If a teacher is not a principal or an assistant by mid-40’s they likely chose the wrong career path if salary was a major goal or the stress zapped them.

I know a private Christian school that puts up with nearly as much misbehavior as public schools simply to keep their doors open. They need the money.

My wife quit teaching after 25 years. Said phuck the pension. LOL. She was damn good, too. It wasn't the kids or teaching, but all the other bullshit. She's way happier making half the amount of money in another field.

One way the state could save some money is by cutting funding for the pay increase for upper level degrees that are out of field. Right now you can sit on an administrative degree with no plans of ever using it and draw the masters level pay. In other states it doesn’t work like that. Use it or lose it so to speak.

Some states require a masters degree to teach

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Some states require a masters degree to teach
    Ohio, NY and Massachusetts require teachers to attain a masters within five years. Some states require that teachers “continue education” even though the masters may never be attained. Some require a masters degree for specialized staff such as special education teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    Ohio, NY and Massachusetts require teachers to attain a masters within five years. Some states require that teachers “continue education” even though the masters may never be attained. Some require a masters degree for specialized staff such as special education teachers.

Add Connecticut to that list

How comical is it that sc is ranked like 48th of 51 (including DC) and we have this type shenanigans going on. Like a pay raise to a lot of the un/under qualified “educators” would fix this problem.

I’m with doggy doc. Let them quit. Could quite possibly be the best thing that could happen to our education system.

Quit?! If they quit then who would turn out the academic geniuses who produced these?

I done seen ‘em, bo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    How comical is it that sc is ranked like 48th of 51 (including DC) and we have this type shenanigans going on. Like a pay raise to a lot of the un/under qualified “educators” would fix this problem.

I’m with doggy doc. Let them quit. Could quite possibly be the best thing that could happen to our education system.
    You do realize that this wasn’t all about salaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Quit?! If they quit then who would turn out the academic geniuses who produced these?

I done seen ‘em, bo!!!

I give up.