Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Stew Recipe (the red kind)

Default Fish Stew Recipe (the red kind)

Looking for your family's top secret fish stew recipe that's been handed down from your great grandma's cousin who sailed over from naples, etc.

Tomato based.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

uhhh....i do mines like chicken stew except with fish. Taters, onions, canned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, lots of fish fillets, corn, salt, pepper, and Texas Pete.

- one caveat: this recipe didn't come over from Naples, it's been handed down through the ranks at Dirty South hunt club.

- I like to use catfish fillets in mine but do not...I repeat DO NOT use lake wateree cats!
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-24-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Google "cioppino recipe"
    DILLIGAF

Add shrimp in it and duced potatoes
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Looking for your family's top secret fish stew recipe that's been handed down from your great grandma's cousin who sailed over from naples, etc.

Tomato based.
    fat back, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, salt pepper, Texas Pete.

And fish. I like grouper, cobia, dolphin.
    Last edited by scdiver; 04-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.

I did a catfish sauce piquant a couple years back that was awesome. I combined several different recipes though.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

A couple cans of spicy V8 and what scdiver said. Oh, and crystal in place of Texas Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    A couple cans of spicy V8 and what scdiver said. Oh, and crystal in place of Texas Pete.
    V8 is the ticket.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    ive heard of using V8, never had it though. Guy at work's dad makes the best ive ever seen. He puts those little popcorn shrimp and those little diced hash brown potatoes in it. Man its good.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I did a catfish sauce piquant a couple years back that was awesome. I combined several different recipes though.
    What the fuck is a piquant???? You aren't from around here are you?

I’ve made turtle sauce piquant. It’s better than fish stew.

Here is bronco at the hunt club on a Friday afternoon during deer season before everyone leaves to go get in their stands:

Bronco: Well fellas, it's my turn to cook supper tonight.

The fellas: Oh good! What are we having???

Bronco: I'm gonna cook up some catfish sauce piquant.

The fellas: Everyone is looking at bronco with "the people's eyebrow" and you hear grumblings of wtf, good lawd, and this is gonna be some bs, etc.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.

25 lbs fish, 8 lbs of potatoes, 5 lbs of onions, 2 quart bags of sweet corn of your choice, 2 packs of bacon, Tomato juice, tomato paste, texas pete and apple cider vinegar. S&P to taste.

Got the recipe from a coon ass welder. It’s legit. Rich as hell, but legit.

Bacon, leave some grease in it, onions, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and chicken broth is key...... and put catfish nuggets in 30 mins before your ready to eat so it doesn't disintegrate
    Last edited by ReelHard; 04-24-2019 at 02:45 PM.

sounds like we need a catfish stew contest. I volunteer to be a judge

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    sounds like we need a catfish stew contest. I volunteer to be a judge
    Yep. My grandfather had a good one but he took it with him when he left this earth.

Should have paid attention when he was making it but I'm here asking now.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Always make it to taste, no recipe, but everyone of them ingredients mentioned, minus V8 and shrimp, have been in mine.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Bacon, leave some grease in it, onions, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and chicken broth is key...... and put catfish nuggets in 30 mins before your ready to eat so it doesn't disintegrate
    Try putting a few big fillets in and let it disintegrate then put the rest in near the end to have some big chunks. That way you get broken up fish bits in every bite along with the big pieces. ReelHard's recipe is very close to what my grandma made. No potatoes, texas pete or Tabasco to taste. The key is having so much fish meat that you don't need a potato filler!
    Last edited by EveryDay; 04-24-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    What the fuck is a piquant???? You aren't from around here are you?
    Piquant is a Cajun tomato stew. Good effort though.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler