Thread: Great morning in Ohio!

Default Great morning in Ohio!

After hearing 10-15 gobbling all over the woods surrounding the property I have permission to hunt, the sun rose and all went quiet, as toms quickly hooked up with hens. I decided to walk up a big "holler" with a small creek to look for mushrooms and wait for a bird to free up. Found the morels, and at 0800, I had a bird gobbling on a ridge top fairly close to our land. I climbed 100 yards up the steep ass hill, put my decoys out, and committed to outsmarting this gobbling fool. While he would occasionally answer my mouth call...the spring allure copper pot call had him in a lather. For over an hour, he worked back and forth and up and down a hillside, but he didn't want to come through the tangle of briars between us. I finally yelped and jake gobbled and shut up...and so did he. After 15 minutes, he gobbled and I just purred a couple of times softly with the copper. Several minutes later, I caught his white head emerging from a tangle of briars only 15 yards away. He must have seen me raise my gun when he went behind a stump, because I waited about 30 seconds for him to emerge before I realized he had put the stump between us and must be leaving. I leaned forward just in time to catch his head bobbing as he was about to go back into the briars at 45 yards. TSS rolled him. I can not say enough about the Spring Allure copper...it rings and I cant find a sour note in the thing. 'Small hooks say 2 y/o bird, but he has a hell of a double beard or a really weird broken base, split beard that won't stay together. Bases look like they are both surrounded by the skin/fat sheath, but they are nearly touching...which I've never seen on a double bearded bird. Regardless...I had to work the shit out of this one, and I'm proud that I found the patience to actually stay on my ass till he came to me.

LOTS of copper!
    ;;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 04-23-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Yelp yelp. Nice kilins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Good stuff.

My idea of a great morning in Ohio...

170F58BF-54B2-4044-853B-0A49487507CF.jpeg

that was exceptionally poetic.

good job
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

great hunt, but there is no such thing even remotely as a great morning in Ohio.

J/K good killin

Roses are red Violets are Blue screw Ohio!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Ohi-NO!

Nice work!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

like it

I’ve never understood what y’all have against Ohio. Of course, I don’t ever go to the big cities and limit my time there to SE Ohio where my bud lives...it looks and feels more like WV. I don’t go to Myrtle Beach either, so all the Ohioians...Ohioans...Ohioites...Ive ever met and know are hard working good ole boys that like to hunt and love to drink beer...a lot like all my SC friends.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Good job!

I like your posts a lot. They aren't as wordy as they used to be either. I can get wordy, so I understand the struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I’ve never understood what y’all have against Ohio. Of course, I don’t ever go to the big cities and limit my time there to SE Ohio where my bud lives...it looks and feels more like WV. I don’t go to Myrtle Beach either, so all the Ohioians...Ohioans...Ohioites...Ive ever met and know are hard working good ole boys that like to hunt and love to drink beer...a lot like all my SC friends.
    People from Ohio are like a plague of locusts. They infect and attempt to ruin any state they move to. Florida is one example.

I'd take those morels over a turkey any day! Great hunt and kill tho!!!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill