Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obesity and the military

I know when my oldest went through Ft Benning 3 years ago he definitely had to pass the PT test. Had to constantly pass the ruck marches in Infantry school as well. He's an absolute beast though and it was a walk in the park for him. It kills me to see him weigh every piece of meat and vegetable that he eats these days but it works for him so it is what it is. Two and a half hours a day in the gym as well as running everyday has him looking like a chiseled statue!

You damn sure can't get out of Coast Guard basic training without passing the run, push ups, sit ups, sit and reach, as well as the swim test! I can guarantee that. And then when the kids get to "A" school we PT them three times a week for at least an hour and a half. After that they are kind of left to do for themselves unless they are on a boarding team or boat crew. The work outs are still voluntary but they have to pass the PT quals regularly so they have to maintain some type of physical fitness routine.

Its definitely not hard to stay fit and eat right underway!! There's plenty of idle time between drug busts and it has to be filled with something! There are limited options out here so most of the crews makes an effort to work out daily. Our flight deck is always littered with equipment and with 140 of us sharing the small gym onboard we basically have to "schedule" our work outs! LOL I've been doing my at night lately just so I'm not constantly waiting on someone to get off the equipment I want. It does make it a little tough to go to sleep afterwards when my workout ends at 1am!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I believe the minimum passing score on the APFT to graduate basic is 50 pts in each event. However that's all about to change in a year or so. This new pt test is going to break it off in a lot of people, especially the older group.
    Last edited by scmoose; 04-26-2019 at 01:54 PM.

All I know being active duty army is 2 failed pt tests in a row and you are kicked out. The new ACFT (army combat fitness test) is way more challenging but still shouldn’t be a problem to pass.

As far as national guard failing PT tests, that’s a different story. Y’all just need bodies so it’s a lot more relaxed

My youngest is an 11B. They still throw grenades. The pogues may not, but the infantry damn sure does. His graduating class was as good if not better soldiers than we were 30 years ago. I can speak for the support troops but the tip of the spear is still sharp. They don’t leave Sand Hill without passing everything. All his Drill Sergeants were combat vets with multiple tours. They very much understand the importance of what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    My youngest is an 11B. They still throw grenades. The pogues may not, but the infantry damn sure does. His graduating class was as good if not better soldiers than we were 30 years ago. I can speak for the support troops but the tip of the spear is still sharp. They don’t leave Sand Hill without passing everything. All his Drill Sergeants were combat vets with multiple tours. They very much understand the importance of what they do.
    There is a world of difference between infantry and support in the Army. It is two different worlds.

THe Army, Navy, and Air Force are notorious places for a fat body to hide out...the Marines, not so much.
    At least I'm housebroken.