Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E Collars

If you want some good advice on when and how to use an E-Collar the correct way and how to introduce a dog to one look up Bill Hillmann. He has a lot of you tube videos that will lend you a hand on how to go about this subject. A lot deals with being able to read the dog and proper introduction.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 04-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I've never seen a dog "ruined" by a collar. I have seen lots of dogs that can't handle pressure. Those dogs have a tendency to lay down and stop functioning when the collar is put on their neck. Those are house pets. Gun dogs can take pressure. If you find yourself with a soft dog, get used to disappointment.
    could not be a more inaccurate statement! Let me know if you want to see a soft dog that cannot take pressure break ice to retrieve a duck! Amazes me the amount of trainers that still believe you have to train with pressure. I am not opposed to pressure or e collars, but this is a very inaccurate statement!

Fish is right about a dog never being ruined by a collar. Their has never been a dog ruined by a collar. They have been ruined by the idiot running the collar. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! That same idiot can ruin a dog without a collar. Prey drive and how much biddable sense your dog has defines how trainable it is period.

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    Fish is right about a dog never being ruined by a collar. Their has never been a dog ruined by a collar. They have been ruined by the idiot running the collar. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! That same idiot can ruin a dog without a collar. Prey drive and how much biddable sense your dog has defines how trainable it is period.
    Partially true. It's hard to ruin one without an E collar. But, you are absolutely correct, it's the idiot running the collar.

Don’t listen to fish. He don’t know what he’s talking about.
    Windows Down!

Blaming a shock collar for a bad trainer sounds like the same argument as blaming the gun instead of the shooter.

You can do the same thing with a whip or choke collar.

I agree consistentcy is important. But then again it is with any other training method. A dog can be ruined quicker with a shock collar. Just like a man can be murdered quicker with a pistol than a knife.

Another thing. A dog does not shut down because of pressure. It shuts down due to lack of understanding of what the pressure is for.

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    Another thing. A dog does not shut down because of pressure. It shuts down due to lack of understanding of what the pressure is for.
    Winner!