Thread: Early Successional Forestry in action..in SC

Default Early Successional Forestry in action..in SC

At least I'm housebroken.

A way for them to spend money, ask for money and in general mess something up in efforts to do something that doesn't need to be done to begin with in my opine.

I have spent a ton of time kicking around in that part of the the forest. Not long ago I walked a cut and burn stand where they " treated" the pine stand for just this type of management goal.

The area is now two full years post treatment and full devoid of duff, top and fermentation layer soil. The area in general is a a gawd awful mess as to erosion.

Being that the project area in this scoping letter is small and that there are already plenty of mixed timber stands in that area I can personally see no need to waste the time or money on such an activity.

Cliff notes risk not worth the reward.
    Genesis 9;2

The goal is to create new stands of different pine species...I gather. Within 4-5 years this creates habitat that will foster good ground for ruffed grouse. That's the ideal, in my head anyway. Thanks for the straight up opinions.

Looks good to me Duck Nitz. No reason to have the white pine in some of those areas especially as they are planning to transition to hardwoods. And selfishly I’d like to see more logging up there in hopes of seeing a few more grouse and woodcock.

A lot of those white pine stands are non-native stands planted a hundred years ago or so...not sure how much of what they intend to cut is part of that old growth. Cutting means new life for all kinds of critters..not just game species (deer, turkey, grouse). That's ma sto-ree an I'm stickin to it..

Your story is correct but behind every plan there is a reason for a dollar bill. Go check out their project on Turkey Ridge road and get back to me about that new life buddy. It should hold true if activities are well planned and correct but well ah well just go look.
    Genesis 9;2

Looking at the satellite on gewgull...what am I looking for? Until I get back to the upstate, that's all I got.
    Last edited by Duck Nitz; 04-24-2019 at 11:36 AM.

THere is a meeting if anyone wants to attend..I guess these folks are not all for cutting.

https://chattoogariver.org/public-me...C8i3FJrBZVVkEg

I have a few thoughts on this. My main concern would be erosion, like Strick said. I'd be more worried about this going badly than the limited benefits. I see a high likelihood of sediments getting into these very delicate trout streams and messing all that up.

White pine is certainly abundant up there, but i feel like some manual thinning and small scale prescribed burning/ limited herbicide use would be better suited than spraying and burning 1600 and 1400 acres, especially considering the entire project area is only 2100 acres.

Just my opinion though...
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

some of the side effects definitely could include erosion of soil. I would be interested to know what trout streams would be effected...If they are native brook trout streams, I would definitely consider that to be a negative side effect. If they are put and take waters, I wouldn't be very uptight about erosion or run-off issues if it provides habitat for native bird and other native wildlife in the long run. That's just my opinion, though..