Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay awake people...

Default Stay awake people...

I've spent many hours in the woods over the years and had some close calls with snakes. I've been struck at twice by canebrake rattlesnakes but I never knew they were there until they struck.
    This morning with Jane we were seated at two separate trees about four feet apart..... My calls laying to my left on the ground..... Looked over and there was a two foot copperhead inches from crawling between my lower back and the oak tree I was sitting against! It was quite literally about to crawl under me..... To say it was unnerving would be a gross understatement of the situation!
    I slowly reached over with off right hand, grabbed the tripod and camera and slowly moved it his direction until he flinched its head the other direction.....he flinched and I jumped up as it coiled at the base of the tree!
    In case anyone is wondering, I killed him about as dead as a grown man can kill a snake!
    It's these kinda moments that remind you you're still alive....
    Edited to add pic of reenactment (snake is headless in pic)....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Awesome use of the shears Scott.
    Heard nothing but wind in Green Pond this morning.
    DILLIGAF

I hope you had wipes in your truck to clean the sphincter-clinching poo that resulted after seeing him...

56” canebrake with 10 rattles killed yesterday afternoon by my old man
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

That was close!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Awesome use of the shears Scott.
    Heard nothing but wind in Green Pond this morning.
    yeah, it's honkin
    Called up two hens.....no gobbles this morning
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My wife killed one in flower bed with hedge trimmer yesterday. She said she was lucky it didn't strike on the wrist while she was leaning over trimming. That's two she has killed in 10 days.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dammit man. Glad it wasn’t worse!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Where you get that fancy thermacell pouch. I need one

That'll wake you up! Geez
    Glad it was by you and not Jane.

Nomad vest...

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    That'll wake you up! Geez
    Glad it was by you and not Jane.
    No doubt about it! I had to emphasise to her that in all my years of turkey hunting this is a first for me or anyone I know

And that’s why I don’t turkey hunt...

Didn't this happen to GBelly a while back? I thought I remembered him posting a rattle snake crawling under him while he was turkey hunting once.

I saw a video of a rattlesnake in someone turkey hunting but I'm pretty sure it was not him make it just came off face page or YouTube or something like that

I bet the turd in your pants was massive
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I saw a video of a rattlesnake in someone turkey hunting but I'm pretty sure it was not him make it just came off face page or YouTube or something like that
    Think it was in TX.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I don't know if it's the same video that yall are talking about, but Skrimp had a rattlesnake crawl under his turkey chair while he was sitting in it a couple seasons ago.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I walked by a copperhead and yellow rat snake this morning. One bird gobbled 15 times, but I couldn't convince him to fly the river. He looked for an opening but couldn't find one.

Nice camo on that one.

Years ago, back before the stupid sturgeon bullshit, there used to be dry times in the swamps. As duckpond dikes will leak, I decided to utilize the already pumped and paid for water that was being wasted. A bunch of old time hillbilly snake haters were helping me dig a ditch to allow the leak water to find it's way to a duck hole in the swamp instead of just running off into the river. While taking a break, sitting on the lip of the newly dug ditch with our feet in the bottom, I caught a motion. A copperhead was slithering under my legs and headed towards the 15 year old hillbilly sitting next to me that I knew would freak out. I told him that I wanted to show him something. When he looked over I said "look me in the eyes." He did. I then told him not to move and do not look down. First fricken thing he did was look down at the snake now going about it's business down the ditch and directly under his knees. Kid turned white. I mean snow white. When the snake went on by, his kinfolk massacred it. I think they beat it, burned it, hung it, drowned it, shot it, and then they really went to work on it. Poor kid could not eat supper that night he was still so shaken up...

I killed this one yesterday with a baseball training bat. Essentially a 3/4 inch pipe that is about 30 inches long. The pressure was more than it could bear. It was between me and my daughter. For the most part, snakes don't bother me. But I will kill every copperhead and moccasin I can. I will go out of my way to kill a moccasin. They are just nasty, vile creatures, that will chase you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson