Thread: Lake Jocassee Fishing

Default Lake Jocassee Fishing

Taking my oldest and youngest kids camping on the lake until Mon-Tues. I'm hauling my 19' Carolina Skiff, no trolling motor. What kind of fishing should I expect. I figured I'd take some lighter rods I use inshore (20# braid) here on the coast and a surf rod to cast out from the campsite to soak for maybe a big cat. Any advise on what to expect or tips to put the kids on some fish in an area I have no experience with? Is a slow troll an option?
    Thanks!

Live minnows and/or 1/8oz jigs with 3" gitzits on rocks should produce some spots and smallies.

Take your cricket cage and some brimps poles. You can see them roaming around back in the coves and the kids will have a blast watching the take. Are you staying at devils fork? The last time we went, the kids caught fish after fish off the back of the boat while it was beached on the shore at camp.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    Take your cricket cage and some brimps poles. You can see them roaming around back in the coves and the kids will have a blast watching the take. Are you staying at devils fork? The last time we went, the kids caught fish after fish off the back of the boat while it was beached on the shore at camp.
    We did stay at Devils Fork campground. We fished a little with worms and cut shad, but were mainly busy cruising the lake. Caught one nice large mouth and some bream. I was blown away by how nice it is there. Having boats was a must in my opinion. We got to hit every corner of the lake and saw and swimmed in about 10 water falls. Man, that water is cold this time of year!

It is a truly beautiful place. That water is always cold.

Can’t you troll the lake with Planers for them big trout?
    867-5309

Idk how they catch em, but I do know a guy through work that catches them on the reg.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Would need to get the baits down a good ways right now.

I went there in the summer with zero knowledge of the lake in a 14' john boat with a loud, raggedy outboard and no trolling motor. From the landing, we took a left into the first cove and immediately started catching largemouth and redeye bass. I bumped the motor in and out of gear and we threw Yozuri minnows at the bank. Probably caught 15 or 20 in a little over an hour. Nothing big, 2lbs was probably the biggest. Not sure if they're off the beds yet, but if they are, I'd throw worms and lures at em.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Last time I went we trolled at about 50’ +/-, but never scored any big ones. Saw plenty on the screen, but didn’t serve what they wanted.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Live minnows and/or 1/8oz jigs with 3" gitzits on rocks should produce some spots and smallies.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Last time I went we trolled at about 50’ +/-, but never scored any big ones. Saw plenty on the screen, but didn’t serve what they wanted.
    Sutton spoons

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Sutton spoons
    I don’t recall if I had any or not, but will make sure the next time I get up there.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'