Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush hookin

Default Bush hookin

Any recommendation or tips on making your own lines ? type of line, weight, hook size, length, etc.
    Last edited by duckz; 04-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.

read dnr website. It tells what is legal and what isn't as far as hook size and bait and where you can set them. Good ol tarred bank line is hard to beat and weight it with whatever keeps it down.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

have to have set hook permit and lines have to be tagged. Green jeans will burn your tail if you don't follow the rules.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Make sure you put them on a limb that is green and has some flex. If you put it on something that doesn't have any play a big one will pop the line. Also look good for wasp nest.

And moccasins
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Big minners
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I have been plenty of times but never with my own stuff. always with friends of friends so i've never asked.
    I looked on the website and there wasn't any regulations. Sinse you never know what your gonna catch I was looking to see what the best size hook and weight combo would be, and thickness of string mainly.

I honestly do appreciate the help but I don’t see anything with hook size recommendation, weight size, stringer thickness.

Use 5/0 circle hooks with a 3 or 2oz egg sinker with a 3/0 barrel swivel on some black tarred catfish line from walmart.use cut bait fish,hotdogs,or shrimp and tie it long enough to be 1-2ft deep in the water attached to a green tree limb and repeat the process.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 04-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.

So, are Roosters legal or not for bait?
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

What’s best type of knot to tie the tar line to hook?
    And what size tar line got most size cats?

Slip knot and any size line above 100#test...stop making this complicated.its just a fish,you aren't catching moby dick.

Goldfish.

Palomar knot. Walmart also started carrying the braided nylon twine. I bought a spool to try since it is what most people use on commercial trotlines. I use 12/0 Mustad hooks. They will still catch a 3lb fish and will hold the big boys no problem. Strong current = heavy weight. 4-6 ozs will be fine for most cases. Drill a hole in a 3 inch piece of PVC pipe and tie one end of the line thru it. Then tie a loop in the line 6-8 inches from the PVC pipe. Make the line 8' long. When attaching to a limb, wrap the line twice then slip the PVC pipe thru the loop. No tying necessary.
    This speeds up the hanging/retrieving process. Fresh cut bait is the best bait. DNR says have a permit and have customer number and name attached to each line. Also, there are restrictions as to what bodies of water you can run them. Good luck and have fun.

Are you my uncle Bob?

#1 rule in Bush hooking is to watch out for the snakes flying from the damn trees.

Memphis twine and net will have anything you need
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Make sure you put them on a limb that is green and has some flex. If you put it on something that doesn't have any play a big one will pop the line. Also look good for wasp nest.
    This Man gets it and has done it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

put reflector tape on the PVC. Some people like to hide their lines so no one steals their catch, but id rather not have to work to remember where I put all 50 hooks.