Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We need people-- Air Force Reserves

Default We need people-- Air Force Reserves

As many of you probably know I am in the Air Force Reserves and have been for almost 17 years now. I've served at Charleston my entire career and have really enjoyed it to say the least. Now I'm not a recruiter but I do know one... I always testify to young folks about the benefits of serving part time. There's been many times for a year+ that I was activated and it wasn't part-time, but it's what we sign up for. Regardless of my status, I've always enjoyed what I do and the honor of serving in the US military.

Anyways, I'll get to the point. If any one of you fellow SCDuckers in your 20s or even 30s would like to take a look at it, feel free to reach out to me. Or if you old guys have a kid about to graduate HS in the spring and has no clear picture on what the next steps are, encourage them to consider the Air Force Reserves as an option. They'll get the GI Bill money for school plus job skills, and possibly even a civilian career doing your assigned military job every day. We have a lot of those at Charleston and they're referred to as Air Reserve Technicians, or ARTs. Some jobs even carry enlistment bonuses of $20,000. That's right $20k! To be a Reservist!! After the initial boot camp and career field-specific training, all you gotta do is one weekend per month, then a 2 week "Annual Tour" at some point in year.

We have lots of enlisted jobs available at Charleston right now. There's even a handful at Shaw AFB in Sumter for anyone in the Midlands or upstate. We have careers ranging from Medical, to Intelligence, to Aircraft Maintenance, to Loadmaster (flying with the aircraft all over God's green creation, it's horrible, lemme tell ya) and many many others. We also have officer jobs for those with a bachelor's degree.

Please feel free to ask any questions, PM me, call me, whatever. I tell people I've gotten more from the AF Reserves than they'll ever get from me, and it's not because I haven't tried. I feel as though I'll never repay my debt for all the doors that have been opened in my life as a result of my military service.

And as always, to all those who are serving or have served in the AF or any other branch, hats off to my brothers and sisters in arms. Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Age'ism.

Surely they need a vet? And a vet vet at that. I still remember salutin' and all that stuff.

I'll do it. But I'll need to be brought in at 0-6 pay and I'm gonna need my own plane.

And a pilot.

Bring the drugs and I'll have a recruiter holler. But if they don't take you because of your demands, I'm keeping the drugs.
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-08-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I was in communications in the Army, and now I'm 41. Does the Air Force need me? I can probably still pass an AF PT test... maybe
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 04-08-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Bring the drugs and I'll have a recruiter holler. But if they don't take you because of your demands, I'm keeping the drugs.
    We'll split 'em.

I'm real good at not working and telling others what to do. Great officer material.

Ditto and ditto

20190408_163503.jpg

I would like to fly a drone with some Hellfires that I could drop here, there, and yonder. Especially I-26. Y'all got any drones?

Negative on the drones ghost rider. AFR does have em but not at Charleston. They actually have a newish unit somewhere out west of enlisted people flying UAVs these days. It's the first time enlisted folk have piloted any operational Air Force aircraft since like the 40's. They call em the Flying Sergeants.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Ditto and ditto
    You and I were there about the same time. Spring of 98 for me.

I took my oaths at the end of '95, was at Gordon at the end of Spring 97, was there until fall, 31 R.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    AF PT test...

Now that is funny

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Need any Pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Now that is funny
    Was hoping someone would catch it...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Age'ism.

Surely they need a vet? And a vet vet at that. I still remember salutin' and all that stuff.

I'll do it. But I'll need to be brought in at 0-6 pay and I'm gonna need my own plane.

And a pilot.
    If you're in the Air Force couldn't you just be your own pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    Need any Pilots?
    Uh, yeah!! I'm sure you know about the pilot shortage. The airlines are paying so much for pilots that the military is struggling to keep em on active duty. One of the big trends is where military pilots get out of active duty then go to the Reserves to let the military pay for them to stay current and build hours while flying for the airlines, UPS, FedEx, etc the rest of the time. If you meet the age requirements where they could get 10 years out of you I don't see why we wouldn't have you.

I got contacts at all 3 of the Reserve flying squadrons at Charleston if you're serious.

Last edited by willyworm; 04-09-2019 at 02:39 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I was in communications in the Army, and now I'm 41. Does the Air Force need me? I can probably still pass an AF PT test... maybe
    We do take prior service at older ages than non prior. I think we had one guy came into our aircraft maintenance unit at like 42 yo. He was prior service and stayed out for 15 years. He was older than basically everyone in the shop and had Senior Airman stripes on his sleeve.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Negative on the drones ghost rider.
    Oh well. Probably best for everyone. If any become available, you be sure to let me know...

You'll be my first call sir.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have an open invite to anyone who wants to come see what we do firsthand before talking to a recruiter. I can get just about any of you knuckleheads on base. I'll be in Charleston on military duty Thursday-Sunday this week.

Last edited by willyworm; 04-08-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They ever get the dandelions off the greens at the golf course down there? Missed an eagle put because of those lumpy greens. Still ain't over it.