Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Masters

I went today with my 6 year old. Made it in, picked him up a hat and some stuff we don’t need in the shopping area, grabbed some food and ate. Made it to the course and we were both bored out of our minds after about 30 minutes. We lasted an hour. I’m definitely in the minority, but I thought it was overrated. No desire at all to go back. Too many super fans wearing golf shoes and practicing their swing with an umbrella. I was expecting some “awe” moment when I walked in .... felt more like an amusement park with nice grass.

I’ll have to stick to the tv broadcast from here on out.

It's the people, people ruin lots of things. I would rather be at my house of Masters Sunday with the grill going then anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's the people, people ruin lots of things. I would rather be at my house of Masters Sunday with the grill going then anywhere else.
    True story.

It’d be cool to play the course, but if I ever have tickets again they’ll be sold as soon as possible.

Yeah, I've heard that reaction every once in a while from some people. And I get it- all you ever hear about is how great and awe-inspiring of a place it is. It is so built up that once you get there, some just don't think it meets expectations. The advent of the ultra high-def TV has played a role in it as well. Old tube TV's just can't do it justice, so once you get there it looks even better than what you had been seeing on TV your whole life.

While I understand how someone can have that reaction, I think it's one of the VERY few things that exceeds all expectations. I think for a lot of us, there's a sort of sentimental value we've assigned to it over the years. From my perspective, my maternal grandfather was an insatiable golfer who lived and breathed the sport- that and catching crappie and shooting squirrels. He bought me my first set of clubs, took me around the golf course once I was old enough to start learning the game, and I sat with him every Saturday or Sunday and watch whatever tournament was on TV before we would head to Sarge Frye Field to watch a baseball game or hit a pond to catch bream and bass. The one tournament him and my dad would always go to was the Masters. I was incredibly jealous that they got to go, and (im)patiently waited until they deemed me old enough to appreciate and understand the decorum expected of patrons who attend the tournament. I was so enamored with the Masters because it seemed to be so important to my dad and grandpa. So it was important to me. Wright Thompson of ESPN sort of captures the spirit of a father/son bond with how he wrote about his first experience at Augusta after his dad died.

The first time I stepped onto the grounds, I was in awe. There are beautiful courses all across the country- mountain tracks can be especially beautiful or a low country course set amongst a wispy tideland area- but nothing compares to the care, attention to detail and hospitality of Augusta National. The last time I ever attended, I was walking with my college roommate to the driving range, and Hootie Johnson drove by us on a golf cart. I nodded and said, "Good morning, Mr. Johnson." He stopped and chatted with us for what felt like an hour(but was probably five minutes) about our experience at the tournament and how we were doing. And that just seems right. Just as you would acknowledge and chat with an older man after a church service or casually converse with someone at the boat ramp for a couple of minutes, there's just a decorum and hospitable nature to the way most southern men are/were raised. The tournament kind of embodies that idea for some of us. Others just want to go watch world class golf at a venue widely regarded as the grandest in the game. I think the same feeling some get sitting in a duck blind or listening for turkeys before the sun has risen is very similar to those of us who love the tournament. Just a sentimental fondness for all that it represents and means to us personally.

OK, I'm done being poetic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post

Sunday was the only day I never went. The gentleman who gave us our badges only wanted Sunday so we got Thursday-Saturday. Sundays were for grilling and watching the final round.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    heading there for the first time evva..Thursday. I guess I'm going to need some Zyrtec?
    Nearly every person who goes for the first time and walks the course is shocked by the elevation changes. Have fun and try to walk it all, but be prepared.

My favorite part is sitting behind the practice range. I watched Rafa Cabrera Bello drop hundred yard wedges into a three ft radius around a flag about 30 times in a row. That and watching Davis Love hit perfect drives in any direction without changing his alignment was enough to awe me. Cheap lunch, fat dip, and watching pros practice is enough to make a day for me

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Nearly every person who goes for the first time and walks the course is shocked by the elevation changes. Have fun and try to walk it all, but be prepared.

You ain’t kidding. Them caddies earn their paycheck this week

For you fellas that have cut the plug. How do y'all watch the Masters?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    For you fellas that have cut the plug. How do y'all watch the Masters?
    You can download the Masters app on your smart tv/roku, or just watch online at masters.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    You ain’t kidding. Them caddies earn their paycheck this week
    IMG_1047.JPG

And they still smoked heaters while carrying those heavy leather bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    IMG_1047.JPG

And they still smoked heaters while carrying those heavy leather bags.
    I imagine that what sportin Woodies would look like if he were black
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I imagine that what sportin Woodies would look like if he were black
    Wait a minute.... he's not?????

I identify as white. Dance like I'm black. Work like a mexican. Fish like an asian. Smoke cigarettes like I don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I identify as white. Dance like I'm black. Work like a mexican. Fish like an asian. Smoke cigarettes like I don't give a fuck.
    And drive like Dale Jr ??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

No. That's impossible.

Hahahahaha!!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Ha

Not exaggerating I’ve probably been close to 20 times and I think I get just as excited now as I did the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Smell like an Indian? Dot, not feather.

I like watching golf on TV. It’s relaxing.
    Last edited by wskinner; 04-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.