Thread: Lab or Wire Hair

Default Lab or Wire Hair

Looking for liters available early summer. Thanks in advance.

Go for the lab.

Carry on...
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

We have a DD . Its our 3rd but this one has prey drive thats off the charts !
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Im partial to the wirehair, i love mine to death. Please do research on them though. They're in a league of their own. He hunts hard, and hunts anything. If it moves he wants it. Especially cats. He can be aggressive torwards male dogs, that is his only downside. But extremely protective. Mine will hunt all day then let my 2.5 year old torture him all night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I went out west twice this past year. Slaughtered the mallards both trips. A wirehair would not have survived the conditions. No I’m not exaggerating. Let that soak in.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I went out west twice this past year. Slaughtered the mallards both trips. A wirehair would not have survived the conditions. No I’m not exaggerating. Let that soak in.
    i guess mine identifies as a lab after hunting illinois in negative temps for 3 days.

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

My wire hairs broke ice going after ducks and I have some old pictures where their faces were covered in ice. Cold never bothered them. I always thought it was cool for dove hunters before a hunt to look at one of my dogs and ask what the hell kind of dog that is, and then after the hunt seriously ask where they could get one. I hunted in 2 dove clubs that had as members 2 local dog trainers that hunted labs. Even though I never did much training other than hunt them a lot, other members told me all the time that I had the best dog they had ever seen. One of the dog trainers is now also selling wire hair pups and his wife told me she wishes she would never hear the word Lab again. Labs are great dogs but I will never buy a hunting dog unless it is a wirehair. One of my puppies is the dog that started Whitetail Kennels in Seneca/ Walhalla and he won many blue ribbons in field trials against pointers, setters, and Labs.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

I was actually just looking for leads on litters of either. I have hunted with and love both.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTigerRY View Post
    I was actually just looking for leads on litters of either. I have hunted with and love both.
    Theres quiet a few now, sadly. Do your research on a good hunting breeder and you should find one. Sadly backyard breeders, and show breeders are starting to infiltrate since theyre "ugly dog" and people like their beard.

Within the state, I would try Randy Hoffman with Beaver Creek Kennels for Labs or Wirehairs, Whitetail Creek in Seneca for wirehairs, and I would suggest staying away from the breeder in Rock Hill as I have a bad experience with one of his dogs and heard the same from others. Treberwolf Kennels in Idaho has some great dogs and is where I got my first one. He and the VDD people did not seem to agree on some things, but everything about him and his dogs were first class as far as I was concerned. I just wanted a good dog and did not care about anything else. After receiving the 7 week old pup and giving him a bath and playing a little, he retrieved everything I threw and pointed a wing beautifully. At 3 1/2 months old he was retrieving doves and hunted quail with Bob Redfern (TV host) and performed flawlessly on points and retrieves. He was amazed as I was also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Within the state, I would try Randy Hoffman with Beaver Creek Kennels for Labs or Wirehairs, Whitetail Creek in Seneca for wirehairs, and I would suggest staying away from the breeder in Rock Hill as I have a bad experience with one of his dogs and heard the same from others. Treberwolf Kennels in Idaho has some great dogs and is where I got my first one. He and the VDD people did not seem to agree on some things, but everything about him and his dogs were first class as far as I was concerned. I just wanted a good dog and did not care about anything else. After receiving the 7 week old pup and giving him a bath and playing a little, he retrieved everything I threw and pointed a wing beautifully. At 3 1/2 months old he was retrieving doves and hunted quail with Bob Redfern (TV host) and performed flawlessly on points and retrieves. He was amazed as I was also.
    Awesome info! Thanks

Can you give me more info on your experience with the guy in Rock Hill?

I will PM you

I will PM you
    Thanks