Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school me on TVs

Default school me on TVs

Yes, I know I could google it, but I trust y'all more. In the market for a new big screen (do they still call them that?) TV for the family room. Large room so need large screen. I read that there is a new technology called 4K. I trust that's what I need. Looks like you can spend anywhere from hundreds to thousands. Apparently, one "budget" brand that is pretty solid is TCL. Any experience. I don't need the best out there- just something solid that will last a while. Gracias.
    Carolina Counsel

There is a current war between Walmart and Amazon on them. 65"-75" if you want something that large. Half price, $500 off, etc. Google says these are todays "deals"

Insignia 43-inch 4K Alexa Fire TV — $300 from Amazon.

LG 65-inch 4K Smart TV — $700 from Dell.

TCL 43-inch 4K Roku Smart TV — $250 from Amazon.

Toshiba 50-inch 4K Alexa Fire TV — $300 from Amazon.

Samsung 55-inch curved 4K Smart TV — $548 from Amazon.

Vizio 70-inch 4K Smart TV — $798 from Walmart.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.f59RTmg3YGg

FYI, apparently, the "Curved" sets are being phased out which is why they are really being cut down...

Just get a Samsung. Can't go wrong.

4K is old news. 8k is the new technology.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/samsun...lp_product_1_9

My Dad just got this one and I set it up for him. It is a very nice tv with a great picture.
    Bone....

If nobody but a few movies are being broadcast in 4k, what is really the point of owning one? How long until, say, Netflix is broadcasting their content in 4k? Are we talking months? Years? Never?

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    4K is old news. 8k is the new technology.
    What? Why wasn't I informed?

Carolina Counsel,
    I've got two things you should consider:

1) some of the cheaper sets have very shiny, reflective screens. If there are any windows or lights in the room they will reflect off of the surface of the TV and make it hard to see the picture.
    2) if the TV is going to be any near a Ethernet router, get a TV a wired Ethernet port otherwise it will hog bandwidth from your wireless and even drop the quality of the picture - ideally get one with wired and wireless.
    oh, and,
    3) do get a 4k just to somewhat future proof...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If nobody but a few movies are being broadcast in 4k, what is really the point of owning one? How long until, say, Netflix is broadcasting their content in 4k? Are we talking months? Years? Never?
    They have been doing 4K for some time now. I think I pay a small upcharge for the content.

I've got no complaints with my 70" LG smart TV and I think it is going on 3 years. (I've had 2 Samsungs crap out on me.)

Make sure you have an ethernet port on the back so you can plug it up to your router. That'll improve quality/speed.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I just bought a Samsung 4k recently. It has a great picture etc. According to what I read, the processor in the TV can "manipulate" the image to near 4k if it's not being broadcast in 4k. I'm no tech guru, but that's what the book says.

TCL with 240hz and you can't beat the bang for the buck. Costco usually has the best price on them.

Close thread.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Pretty sure all of apple’s content is 4K. Netflix is also streaming content in 4K.

Just bought a 65” HiSense from Walmart with Roku for $498 and am very pleased. I have it in 55 as well with no issues yet.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Tell people all the time, whatever your budget is, buy the biggest one you can afford and roll with it. All consumer displays typically come with a 90 day warranty and you can extend that out 2-5 years if you want. All TV's produced now are pretty much 4k and the at least 60-120hz on the cheaper end. I would try and find a 4k display that is at least 120hz and roll on. If you want something more jump up to 240hz and double the price. Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, TCL are all good brands from my point of view.
    "run and gun guide service"

I have had a Samsung and an Insignia shit out on me both less than 2 years old. The Toshiba I have currently has been good for 3 years so that is a record in our house. I am a price buyer on a TV. Damn spending $1000 on one.
    cut\'em

I bought a 42" LG 1080P in 2003 - it's be moved to the "junk" room upstairs but it's still working like new...I've bought nothing be LG's since and have never had one go bad.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Samsung is the tits hands down. There built in smart stuff is the easiest interface to use and you can add apps to it. You can't add apps to all smart TV's. Some of them come with what they have and thats it. Take Vizio for example....it is what it is. What's preloaded is what you get. Can't add apps. Now granted, it's got the majority of what you need but like I said, you can't add to it like you can Samsung. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu, etc are all showing movies and shows in 4k and it is by far the best picture. Buying a TV that's not 4k these days is like going out and buying and Iphone4. Nothing wrong with it, and they work, but it's old technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    What? Why wasn't I informed?

Carolina Counsel,
    I've got two things you should consider:

1) some of the cheaper sets have very shiny, reflective screens. If there are any windows or lights in the room they will reflect off of the surface of the TV and make it hard to see the picture.
    2) if the TV is going to be any near a Ethernet router, get a TV a wired Ethernet port otherwise it will hog bandwidth from your wireless and even drop the quality of the picture - ideally get one with wired and wireless.
    oh, and,
    3) do get a 4k just to somewhat future proof...
    Good stuff RH- thanks. Lots of windows in this room.
    Carolina Counsel

Thanks for all of the information gents
    Carolina Counsel

I got a Roku TV last fall and I have been really happy with it. One remote. Good picture. Wireless works well. Cheap.