Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadcasting Sunflowers on smaller plots

The other issue with Clearfields for us is not having a 2 row planter. We're going to have a hard time only planting 5 or 6 pounds per acre. Our plan with the drill is to get our spacing left to right and then as the plants grow, come in and remove some front to back to get the proper spacing that way. That would be a lot of extra expensive seed going to waste with the Clearfields. I still haven't figured out a weed management plan for later as we don't have a cultivator either. I thought about planting the rows tighter together and then coming through with a 48 inch bushog and tiller close to season and just sacrificing every other row.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention, the landowner just bought this farm a few months ago. That's also a major reason for not paying the extra for the Clearfields. He's already spent a fortune and just trying to spend it where he has to at this point. He's not expecting a barn burner the first year in. We're just trying to make it huntable this year. My suggestion was to do all brown top this year but he was adamant about sunflowers. I'm just trying to give him the best I can with what I have to work with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an update and a couple of questions. We did 3 separate fields in flowers and here is the best looking field of flowers we have. We planted Peredovik's on April 27th on 35 inch rows with the grain drill and used a combo of Dual II Magnum and Spartan Charge as the preemergent. Came back several weeks later with Clethodim 2EC and CNI 80-20 as a post emergent on 2 separate occasions. We are surprisingly weed free considering we didn't use clearfields. The only weeds I'm having trouble with is rape coming back in that was previously planted in the plot and this blue flower that you can see in the picture. Any idea what it is and if a herbicide can take care of it? We're coming through every couple of weeks and hoeing out the rape.

The deer have only messed up one of the 3 fields, and that was because there was a bad outlet for the electric fence that kept tripping the breaker and having no zap for deterrent. We're going to redo that field for some late blooming flowers, but there are several rows that made it. With the mixture of Dual II Magnum and Spartan Charge being sprayed in the vicinity of living flowers, how concerned should I be about wind drift both while spraying and once it's on the field? Would I be better off not worrying about pre emergent since we already have 2 (mostly) clean fields and trying to preserve the standing plants, or still give the same treatment but keep a few rows distance from live plants?

20190620_200442.jpg

I don't have answers but I admire your field. Looks great.