Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you glue your motor on ?

Default Do you glue your motor on ?

I was about to hook up the motor this weekend and a buddy had told me to use glue all around the plate.. is this a normal thing ? Ive always ran smaller boats so maybe its something im suppose to do, but I have never heard of it.

Don’t know about glueing it.? If it’s thru bolted I would use some marine grade silicone around the bolts and fender washers.

Yea it is through bolted. That is a good idea about going around the bolts, maybe that's what he meant but I thought he had said to go all around the plate. Maybe he meant to help with vibration? I mean it had four bolts.

on a side note- any torque recommendation ?
    Last edited by duckz; 03-23-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Standard torque for the size and GRADE of bolt- use lock nuts and check the specs to see how that effects torque values. When he was saying glue it on- he was probably referring to using 5200 as a sealer on the bolt holes and around the mounting plate perimeter- it cures to an almost permanent bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Standard torque for the size and GRADE of bolt- use lock nuts and check the specs to see how that effects torque values. When he was saying glue it on- he was probably referring to using 5200 as a sealer on the bolt holes and around the mounting plate perimeter- it cures to an almost permanent bond.
    thank you!! good catch on that one. I just looked and the guy just gave me regular hex nuts with the boat! I may just go get new bolts and nuts to make sure all is in good condition.

So is 5200 good to use ? You say its almost a permanent bond, but is that what I want ? OR just use 3m marine silicone around the bolt holes?

is this going to be a permanent installation?- if yes then 5200- if no then 4200- last choice is silicone

5200 and be done with it....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    is this going to be a permanent installation?- if yes then 5200- if no then 4200- last choice is silicone
    just around the holes.. or around the entire plate ?

Seal the bolt holes only.

Definitely no need to thru bolt with Elmer's Glue
    This is the one you want
    fb58a191c8369602bf3fb31a0adcfadf.jpg

^ haha

Thanks, I’ll pick up some and get it done

Wait.. am I coating the screw and inside the holes as well, or just run a bead around the hole to keep water out?
    Last edited by duckz; 03-23-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Wait.. am I coating the screw and inside the holes as well, or just run a bead around the hole to keep water out?
    I put it a little on the bolt and push it through and have a bead on both washers that will squish out all around when tightened

This fukstick is fukin with yall. 3M makes 5200, I think
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I use JB Weld
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Use BoatLife's life seal. Local SC company and they make great products. Least that's my experience.

My thought process was to seal up the entire clamps so salt won't get in between the two surfaces and corrode from the inside out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-27-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I got a set of 1/2” long “f593c the“ hex bolts from Lowes. If I read correct, I torque them to 45lbs? I also got some nylon hex lock nuts with nylon inserts. Does that change the torque setting or the torque setting based on the bolt?

Are they shiny or dull- unless stainless steel shiny means zinc plated and they will rust like hell, dull means galvanized which will last longer. Stainless steel would be my choice

45lbs. Then another 1/4 turn, then back 32 degrees, then tighten a final 45 degrees.

BH, they are SS.