Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: decoys vs calls

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Wet? I think you use scuba gear to get to some of your spots!
    LOL. May have to this spring, for sure.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

All you need is a boat. My Jeep will be down there all season and there will be Natty light in the fridge!
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Feral Cats
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Do people hunt turkeys in “the woods” anymore? Serious question.
    As for the other I don’t post pictures of squirrels I kill either. No offense intended to Duckcutter.
    None taken
    I post squirrel pics to get invites to hunt new places.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 03-22-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    A buddy and I were talking turkeys and I said it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they banned all decoys. He said if you do that then you have to ban calls also because its an artificial way of making a male turkey think there is a female. Although I was mainly referring to male decoys but I am not opposed to banning all decoys. Discuss.
    Anybody that would even suggest that argument doesn't understand Turkeys.

I forgot who said it on this forum, but I'll try my best to re-quote them: "You're gonna regulate everyone straight to the living room couch."
    Psalm 23

Be honest I wouldn’t have a problem doing away with strutter and Jake decoys but it’ll never happen
    80-20 Genaration

I set up a 1/4 strut and lookout decoys this morning, had 7 beard dragging gobblers , 4 jakes, and 12 hens at 25yds. Let all live to see another day , waiting on Feet’s and KRT to bring my other two decoys. They better hurry up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone hunt turkeys with a bow anymore? I've killed a few that way and find it plenty challenging.

Turkeys aren't smart but they can be plenty wary and they have eyesight about comparable to 10x binoculars. The people that don't hunt and see them in fields and on the side of the road assume they are easy to kill. I could wipe out the population on my property if I shot them from the ATV or tractor but they have outfoxed me more times than I like to admit when trying to call them in while hunting.

I've had success with decoys but I've had decoys cause birds to hang up or spook more often. Lately, I've been hunting without them just because I prefer a more minimalist style of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Does anyone hunt turkeys with a bow anymore? I've killed a few that way and find it plenty challenging.

Turkeys aren't smart but they can be plenty wary and they have eyesight about comparable to 10x binoculars. The people that don't hunt and see them in fields and on the side of the road assume they are easy to kill. I could wipe out the population on my property if I shot them from the ATV or tractor but they have outfoxed me more times than I like to admit when trying to call them in while hunting.

I've had success with decoys but I've had decoys cause birds to hang up or spook more often. Lately, I've been hunting without them just because I prefer a more minimalist style of hunting.
    Do you bow hunt turkeys from a tent??

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Do you bow hunt turkeys from a tent??
    Nope. I don't hunt anything from a tent. I don't hunt from my bathroom window either.

Nope. I don't hunt anything from a tent. I don't hunt from my bathroom window either.
    I was just curious. I can see where bowhunting turkeys without a blind would be very challenging.

Does anyone hunt turkeys with a bow anymore? .
    All the time
    80-20 Genaration

Prolly should stop worrying so much if someone else is using a decoys or calls for turkey and more about proper management of our WMAs and introducing kids to be life time hunters. Seems a large number of kids I have talk to always say my dad or someone in the family hunts but never takes me..... Would seem those are more important then what the heck the guy across the street is doing to fool a bird.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Some turkeys can be the easiest thing in the world to kill and others are slick as an 140” buck
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Some turkeys can be the easiest thing in the world to kill and others are slick as an 140” buck
    Yes sir. Took 4.5hrs to kill one Friday. He’d been around the block a few times
    AE4031E1-0D69-4499-8737-1D4D2F481632.jpg
    80-20 Genaration