Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Default Big game rifle for a newcomer?

Really liking this 300wsm I've got now that I'm hand loading for it, my little neighbor killed a pile of deer with it this past year and has pretty much taken it over. Recoil is tame and it hits hard.

300 weatherby mag
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

Thanks guys my friend appreciates it. I think he's narrowed it down to 270 and 3006. But like always I don't think he's gonna stick with just one gun.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my Tikka .270 Super Lite on any hunt in N. America.
    A client of mine I hunt with in WVA shoots a 300 Mag and I witnessed him drop a 230 lb deer in its tracks at 250 yards
    on the side of a mountain 3 years ago and I became a fan. Probably my next rifle buy.
    Also a .308 or 30-06 will do it all
    No grown man should give a shit about recoil on any of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Thastings View Post
    Thanks guys my friend appreciates it. I think he's narrowed it down to 270 and 3006. But like always I don't think he's gonna stick with just one gun.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-a7-st...n-jra7b18.aspx
    https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-a7-st...6-jra7b20.aspx
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by cole2011 View Post
    300 weatherby mag
    Zackly! Although between that and the 338RUM I need to mortgage the farm to buy ammo.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I wanted a do all rifle, but I have ambitions to head to Africa or Alaska one day. I sold my 06's and bought a 375 H&H model 70 stainless. Sent it off to have barrel chopped to 20" instead of 25 so it would be a little handier. Sights remounted, talley bases and QD rings with a Zeiss 3-9x40 on top. Weighs a little shy of 9lbs loaded but will stack 260gr noslers on top of each other at 100 and drop anything I would be able to hit with my abilities. To me, it recoils less that my featherweight 30-06 by a large margin and significantly less than a lot of 7 and 300 mags Ive shot. If you reload it makes it even better. I load 235gr speers in it with a mild load of RL15 and killed deer with it with less bloodshot meat than a 270. The bullet zips right through and is as big as most are fully expanded. Its not a long range rifle like 300 mags can be etc, but for a 400yd or less big game rifle that will still put down a charging big meat eater, I think its hard to beat.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

300wsm

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    how did you end up on scducks?
    I guess there's no NYDucks?

North American Slam with a 700 ADL in 30-06.

https://www.safaripress.com/books/no...ne-land-l.html

For the OP, your buddy should just get a 30-06. Ammo is available everywhere and there are many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I wanted a do all rifle, but I have ambitions to head to Africa or Alaska one day. I sold my 06's and bought a 375 H&H model 70 stainless. Sent it off to have barrel chopped to 20" instead of 25 so it would be a little handier. Sights remounted, talley bases and QD rings with a Zeiss 3-9x40 on top. Weighs a little shy of 9lbs loaded but will stack 260gr noslers on top of each other at 100 and drop anything I would be able to hit with my abilities. To me, it recoils less that my featherweight 30-06 by a large margin and significantly less than a lot of 7 and 300 mags Ive shot. If you reload it makes it even better. I load 235gr speers in it with a mild load of RL15 and killed deer with it with less bloodshot meat than a 270. The bullet zips right through and is as big as most are fully expanded. Its not a long range rifle like 300 mags can be etc, but for a 400yd or less big game rifle that will still put down a charging big meat eater, I think its hard to beat.
    Not to derail the OP’s thread, but pictures please. I really like my 300 H&H and have thought about stepping up to it’s bigger brother. Who did the work on your rifle?