Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate Committee Report - Turkey Bill

NWTF is private. Their boards are private. Their money is private. The director is private.

The bottom line is someone will be unhappy no matter what.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Seems like I remember the turkey study recommended April 15 start.

For those of you who just hate politicians getting involved with setting game laws, why do you think the senators did not make it a statewide April 15th start as recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

For those of you who just hate politicians getting involved with setting game laws, why do you think the senators did not make it a statewide April 15th start as recommended?
    Probably because even they realized how ridiculous that would be in one swoop, much easier to take things gradually. They'll get it there if that's where they want it. This whole thing is an exaggerated knee jerk reaction to what may simply be nature running its cyclical course.. I do agree with one bird per day though.
    Last edited by trash2; 03-22-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Probably because even they realized how ridiculous that would be in one swoop, much easier to take things gradually. They'll get it there if that's where they want it. This whole thing is an exaggerated knee jerk reaction to what may simply be nature running its cyclical course.. I do agree with one bird per day though.
    "where they want it"

Who is they?

I’m going to assume this is in the politics forum where it belongs. I’m on my phone and my turkeys aren’t gobbling, so I have time and I’m pissed.

This is the first time since the HOEPA law passed that I’ve been involved with any legislation. This bill matters to me because turkeys matter to me. Just by chance, three of my friends are involved heavily with this thing. One in the senate, one in the house, and one at DNR. I’ve talked to all 3 extensively, shared what I could, not shared what I was asked not to share, and given input when I could. I truly believe that all 3 parties are well intentioned, and doing what they think they should do given who they answer to.

The data (however flawed it may be) says we kill too many too early. I believe some of that. DNR’s thinking is that while it is easy to think that taking one dick out of the pool still leaves more dicks to do the job, it may take longer for the dicks to get measured and start doing their job again than previously thought. I can see that. I’m not a biologist but I spend a lot of time around turkeys in the spring (today not withstanding).

The legislature says that we are where we are with dates because DNR wanted uniformity. That’s partially true, but then they act shocked that we killed way more birds when we gave 75% of the state 50% more days to hunt. Seriously?

DNR needing uniformity is BS and in a state as diverse as SC (mountains to the sea, remember) uniformity isn’t best for the turkeys.

I think 1 in the first 10 days is a good idea. I pushed for it. I think 1 a day is a good idea and I pushed for that. Those two things work toward DNR’s data. I’m really ok with the senate bill as a whole, but it takes “opportunity” away from the lowcountry folks, and they are going to have a hard time getting on board with that. I can’t say that I blame them.

In my opinion, the pendulum swung too far three years ago. I don’t think a statewide 3/20-5/5 season is a good idea. People had their agendas, deals were cut and that’s what we got. Now we need to get back in line, and it’s a big correction that people don’t like.

I believe that we are starting to see a little bit of a turkey decline. That isn’t true everywhere, but it is becoming true more places. Habitat and predation are huge factors, but that is very difficult to legislate. We can control how many we kill and when we kill them. I agree that managing your own habitat and trapping is the way to go, but that is up to each individual.

When times get tighter, everyone has to cinch up the belt. Whether Columbia gets it right will remain to be seen. Contacting your representative is an easy thing to do. I’ve found if you’re courteous, they will listen to you. What they do with the info, who knows?

The frustrating thing is to be told over and over that we can’t outlaw male turkey decoys because the manufacturers and retailers have too much money for lobbyists. Whether you agree with the decoys is irrelevant. The fact that we can’t do a particular thing, whatever that thing is, because of lobby money sucks.

And Eco, since you are from Horry county, your senator has been very difficult to deal with. But, if this thing sunsets and reverts to the old law, he did get Horry County in a “lowcountry” game Zone now.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I believe it was April 10th. I could be mistaken.

My vote is to do what “actual science and research” recommends. The season will be evaluated every three years or so. So what if it’s April 10- May 10 for three years. It can be changed again.

I want whatever gives turkeys the best chance of multiplying and being here for years to come. I'll take 20 days of A+ hunting over 45 days of B-.

If the biology and science say April 15-May 15 and 1 bird per day, let's do it.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Y’all stop talking biology. The problem is the dentite will not call his cheating stealing low down unethical legislator in addition to not being willing to run for office.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 03-22-2019 at 07:20 PM.

I have seen a lot more multiple kills when the season started earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stricter regs. Shocker.
    Psalm 23

Y’all stop talking biology. The problem is the dentite will not call his cheating stealing low down unethical legislator in addition to not being willing to run for office.
    You are a piece of work. You truly are. I am so glad that all of y’all aren’t like you.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I'll drop $125 to ban you from the turkey forum for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Write the check playa. I'll certainly agree to that for this cause
    Don't forget about our agreement
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Id like to know more about this lying and cheating fellow.... it seems disengenous not to give more details regarding said accusations
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    DT, there needs to be a March turkey season . Do as yall want with 2 or 3 birds but for all that is good in this world don't lose early season hunting. It is cool, less vegetation to hinder sound, and it is gentlemanly hunting. April gets hot quick and in reality no one that actually kills turkeys goes when it is hot. Like, no one.
    You Are An Idiot. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    You Are An Idiot. That is all.
    Agreed.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Don't forget about our agreement
    This need to be moved to the politics forum

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    You are a piece of work. You truly are. I am so glad that all of y’all aren’t like you.
    Are you saying your rep is not good looking and smart like me?

Bottom line
    1. You can't please everybody.
    2. DNR and the NWTF are driving this bus.
    3. Politicians softened the biologists recommendations.
    4. Erebody hates politicians.

Are you saying your rep is not good looking and smart like me?

Bottom line
    2. DNR and the NWTF are driving this bus.
    3. Politicians softened the biologists recommendations.
    4. Erebody hates politicians.
    Are you kidding me? Seth Rose is a handsome SOB.

1) nobody expects you to please everybody
    2) DNR works for us and you are their boss. The NWTF should not be driving this bus. Why would they be?
    3) their recommendations were a huge departure from what has become accepted in SC, as far as season dates. The current senate bill definitely moves that direction.
    4) I’ve actually been involved with several politicians that I like a lot.
    1) nobody expects you to please everybody

"where they want it"

Who is they?
    Clearly the bus drivers... glad you figured it out.

Everyone is an have an opinion with legislation dealing with fur, fins, and feathers.

Their opinions are a blend of their life experiences, a biology report, and the experts on this site. A politicians opinion is not much different and only 20 actually care..