Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Near freezing on opening day

Default Near freezing on opening day

I've been excited about opening morning the last few weeks but it's been in the low thirties the last 2 mornings and looks like it will be again in the morning. Gonna be cool all day tomorrow. Not my idea of ideal turkey weather. I might wait on a good day. What say you?

Yeah, stay home. Turkeys don’t turkey below 50 degrees. Total waste of time.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Guess I won't need snake boots

If any of yall find any of those turkey critters, how about send a couple to my place.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Send a few my way as well. Normally I'm covered up with birds, not so much this year.

They still grouped up pretty good here but gobblers are finally strutting. I bet they are quiet as a church mouse at daylight.

One of the most intense gobbling mornings I've ever experienced was in Fairfield county on a 26 degree morning.

It just don't seem right to be out turkey hunting with deer hunting gear on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    It just don't seem right to be out turkey hunting with deer hunting gear on.
    Then don’t ever travel west to hunt turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    One of the most intense gobbling mornings I've ever experienced was in Fairfield county on a 26 degree morning.
    Same for me in Spartanburg county about 10 years ago. Sounded like a turkey farm on the roost and lasted for an hr after fly down. It was mid 20s when I got out the truck
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've had turkeys gobbling at every shot during a wood duck shoot when I couldn't feel my fingers.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Did you get your leaves blown yet
    867-5309

I say your dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    I say your dumb
    You’re *
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I love a clear cold morning in the river swamp. You can hear gobbles from a mile away.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Touché
    Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    You’re *

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    You’re *
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Truck is loaded, alarm set. Not real high expectations but it beats going to work.

Cold. Heard a few but nothing is really fired up. Greenwood County.

Fairfield Co, 31 degrees, heard at least 10 different birds, they gobbled their heads off.

Never known cold temps to slow them down.