Thread: PA wondering-Where are the mallards?

Default PA wondering-Where are the mallards?

Outdoors: Murky waters for Pennsylvania's mallard numbers

By TOM VENESKY, (Wilkes-Barre) Times Leader

DALLAS, PA. — Pennsylvania Game Commission Northeast Region director Dan Figured was thrilled that his office was chosen to host the 2019 Waterfowl Symposium last Friday.

It marked the first occasion that the symposium, which highlighted waterfowl management in the state and offered a look at upcoming seasons and bag limits, was held in the northeast region. For years, the symposium alternated between locations in the northwest and southwest - both areas are known as waterfowl hotspots in the state.

"The meeting allowed those involved in waterfowl conservation to learn about the framework used to determine migratory bird seasons and bag limits," Figured said, adding that the northeast will host the symposium every three years. "It also provided opportunity for public input on waterfowl management and gave us a chance to showcase our new office building."

So, while hosting this year's symposium put the northeast region on the map in regards to waterfowl conservation, Friday's meeting didn't paint a rosy picture when it came to some duck species.

Particularly mallards, which are among the most recognizable ducks to the general public.

As biologists and conservation leaders took turns addressing the audience, the fact that mallard ducks are in decline was a common theme. As a result, the proposed federal framework for the 2019-20 waterfowl season in Pennsylvania included a change in the daily bag limits for mallards, from four last season to two (including one hen). The proposal must be approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and while the bag limit for mallards was cut in half, the season length remained the same.

Ian Gregg, game management division chief for the Game Commission, said there isn't one single cause that is responsible for the declining mallard population. Contributing factors include habitat changes impacting food reserves, competition from Canada geese on food sources and genetic issues resulting from hybridization with domestic mallards.

"The reason why we're making a change to the season for mallards is the four-bird bag limit is simply unsustainable," Gregg said. "The decline is pretty significant because (mallards) have historically been the most numerous duck species in the population."

If there were any questions about the validity of the recommended bag limit reduction, the symposium provided plenty of answers.

Jeremy Stempka offered a host of numbers to back up the change. With numbers as recent as the 2017-18 waterfowl season, Stempka, who is a PGC wildlife biologist, said the mallard harvest in the Atlantic Flyway was 286,400, a 30 percent decrease from the long-term average (1999-2016). No other duck species in Pennsylvania showed an decrease as high.

In Pennsylvania, the mallard harvest in 2017-18 was 19,400, a 54 percent drop from the long-term average.

And when it comes to data that biologists use to base their decisions, the estimated number of mallard breeding pairs in Pennsylvania during 2018 was 57,780, 33 percent below the long-term average.

"Mallards are a declining species," Stempka said, adding that 2017-18 marked the first year that the wood duck harvest (453,200) was greater than the mallard harvest in the Atlantic Flyway.

Officials from traditional Pennsylvania waterfowl hotspots — the Pymatuning and Middle Creek wildlife management areas - also confirmed that mallard numbers dropped off in those areas as well.

"It's a big issue, especially with hunter because mallards have always been a fun species to hunt," Gregg said. "They respond well to decoys and calling."

Gregg suggested that the drop in the mallard population could be responsible for a corresponding decline in waterfowl hunters.

While the 12,000 duck hunters in Pennsylvania are the eighth-highest total in the Atlantic Flyway, the figure is down 54 percent from the long-term average.

"Mallards are a really big part of the hunting experience, and the decline is a big deal," Gregg said. "It's a trend that we hope to turn around, and we're going to learn a lot from the change in the bag limit."

https://www.wral.com/outdoors-murky-...bers/18268535/

If hybridization with domestic mallards is weakening the wild mallards genetics and 1 of the 3 contributing factors to the decline in wild mallards, why don't the Feds put and end to it in law?

$
    Politics
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    $
    Politics
    Sho nuff!
    Follow the $$$

One thing that stood out to me when Just practicing and I visited Pymatuning Wildlife area was the amount on raccoons walking around in broad daylight. To me that's a sign of completion for food and overpopulation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lots of interesting things going on with counts starting this year. out is the mallard model and in is the gwt, ringo, goldeneye model.

the atlantic flyway may even be a thing of the past?

delta is maxed out on predator control on the areas they deem the most important to nest success. pretty neat stuff going on there with studies on what types of traps or baits work best.

it will be interesting to see how this all plays out....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and, I must add, every time jeremy stempka bands a mallard, DB68 kills it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Don’t let him take all the credit, his pappy did some work too!

LMAO ! Actually , my buddy killed the one Jeremy banded....mine was from ohio and pops were from ohio and Michigan .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I killed one that Jacob banded. It was green on one leg and silver on the other.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-20-2019 at 02:23 PM.

NY kills a pile of them......

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    One thing that stood out to me when Just practicing and I visited Pymatuning Wildlife area was the amount on raccoons walking around in broad daylight. To me that's a sign of completion for food and overpopulation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    That's definitely a bad sign. Pennsylvania better get up to speed on the science.

Delta Waterfowl has proven that predator control on a given block of land makes the biggest difference in boosting nest success. I can't remember the stat but in the prairies I think blocks that predator control was administered on the nest success of grass-nesting dabbler hens went up like 40% on average (that could be of a little but y'all get the point). And raccoons are traditionally the biggest culprit. From a delta article:

Not surprisingly, raccoons accounted for 40 percent of the nest predation failures, Johnson reported.
    https://deltawaterfowl.org/the-prey-of-many/

From a post on the refuge:

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/...gement.161252/

Since Delta launched its predator management program in 1994, we have consistently increased nest success two- to three-fold. In the most recent nesting
    season, one of our predator sites had 80 percent nest success, which means
    80 percent of all the duck nests in a 36-square-mile block were successful.
    Before the population can increase, breeding hens must be successful. Nest
    success has been extremely high on Delta’s predator blocks, and we have the
    science to prove it.
    While an increase to 80% nest success isn't always the result the science shows predator control can drastically increase the number of broods hatching every spring and summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-21-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft