Thread: Help SCDNR with ruffed grouse research

Default Help SCDNR with ruffed grouse research

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/2019/mar/mar18_grouse.php

It would be really nice if some you folks in the mountains of SC up there could record anything if you hear a drummer. Mountain Hunt Unit turkey hunters?
    Last edited by Duck Nitz; 03-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    At least I'm housebroken.

For the past two seasons I have walked the mountains looking for grouse. This past season I did not jump any. Last year I jumped one. I'm still trying to figure them out.

What you need to do is holla..shoot me a PM and I will see if I can help.

Will do. Thanks.

Nitz -

Have we always had a very small population?

Was it ever possible to hunt them with consistency?
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 03-29-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

It has always been a small population. Our mountains are on the very southern fringe of their range. The last SC grouse I saw was 5 or 6 years ago on the edge of 178. GA and NC have always had a larger population. NC’s population, as well as GA’s have dropped over the last few decades. Twenty years ago, we would average 6-12 flushes in a day in NC. Now, it is 0-3 flushes per day. If you want grouse, you have to cut timber. They can still be found more regularly on private land. Eco-terrorists and preservationists have done a lot of harm through their lawsuits to tie up the USFS.

I could kill one in SC on any given day in the Spring. The fall is another story...

A SC grouse is on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Nitz -

Have we always had a very small population?

Was it ever possible to hunt them with consistency?
    I don't think they were ever hunted with consistency but that's why they are starting the observation and drumming counts. There is no baseline (very little prior research) and DNR wants to establish one so that they know in the future if they decide to improve forest habitat (in the Jocassee Gorges area for example) for everything (grouse, deer, turkey, gold winged warblers et. all) they will have some idea of what existed prior to any early successional practices (cutting and burning). That's just what I have gleaned from being involved with the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    I don't think they were ever hunted with consistency
    Oh hell yes they were...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Oh hell yes they were...
    I believe it.

Indeed they were. There used to be a robust population back when I spent a lot of time up there.

I have heard there used to be grouse on Paris Mountain, back in the early 70's...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    It has always been a small population. Our mountains are on the very southern fringe of their range. The last SC grouse I saw was 5 or 6 years ago on the edge of 178. GA and NC have always had a larger population. NC’s population, as well as GA’s have dropped over the last few decades. Twenty years ago, we would average 6-12 flushes in a day in NC. Now, it is 0-3 flushes per day. If you want grouse, you have to cut timber. They can still be found more regularly on private land. Eco-terrorists and preservationists have done a lot of harm through their lawsuits to tie up the USFS.
    Amen

I killed the shit out them in CT when I was stationed there. Spoiled me to the point that I couldn’t get back into hunting them when I came back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I killed the shit out them in CT when I was stationed there. Spoiled me to the point that I couldn’t get back into hunting them when I came back home.
    The toughest grouse for a pointing dog to pin and hold are the grouse of the southern Appalachian mountains.