Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New stick bow

Default New stick bow

Well, I knew it would happen, borrowed a recurve from a buddy of mine and only shot it a week before I knew this is something I wanted to dive into.

This sweet thing came in last week and I haven’t left the house without it since. Makes scouting for turkeys a lot more fun too.

Stalker stick bow Coyote 62” 48@28”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Awesome! Congrats!

Ive got a longbow on the short list
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Stalker makes longbow limbs for my Coyote Riser.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good looking bow!

South Cox makes a sweet stick. You could most certainly do worse for your first bow purchase. If you haven't already, check out The Push: A Traditional Archery Film on youtube. The fixed crawl method that Matt teaches totally changed the way i look at trad bows. Follow Joel Turner and Tom Clum Sr. if you do the social media thing. Made the switch from recurve to r/d longbow this year and will never go back to a recurve.
    Last edited by JBranham; 03-18-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Oh yea, I knew the Push and Tom Clum Sr. before I even picked one up. When I borrowed my buddies recurve I bought the "solid archery mechanics" course with Tom Clum to get started in the right direction. That course has been worth every cent.

That's a good looking bow.

You're already way ahead of where I was when I first started then man. Mr. CLum is an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge. What i love about the way he teaches is that it's not inaccessible knowledge. He doesnt go about teaching abstract ideas like a college professor trying to show how smart he is, he approaches it from an easy to understand/comprehend/put into practice method that just flat works.

Quote Originally Posted by JBranham View Post
    You're already way ahead of where I was when I first started then man. Mr. CLum is an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge. What i love about the way he teaches is that it's not inaccessible knowledge. He doesnt go about teaching abstract ideas like a college professor trying to show how smart he is, he approaches it from an easy to understand/comprehend/put into practice method that just flat works.
    Tell me about it. I went from hoping I hit somewhere on the bag target at 10 yards, to feeling confident at shooting a turkey at 20 yards in about two weeks.

I'm actually looking at booking a flight to denver for a hands on lesson in the coming month or so. I'm hooked in a bad way.

Welcome to the addiction dude. Are you shooting 3 under or split? Fixed crawl or string walking or just instinctive (i hate that word)? Mr. Clum's place RMS Gear is like the Mack's Prairie Wings of the trad world.

I saw a guy shooting a bow like that as I was going thru Evergreen Friday morning
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

3 under. Instinctive up to about 25 yards and then I find it easier to measure gap. Point on seems to be in 35-38 yard range. I haven't spent much time at that distance but I'm working my way up to it.

I also haven't spent a lot time looking at gap and point on because I'm still playing with different arrows, weights, and lengths. After I get something to stick with, I hope to start more gap and point on shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by robbbos1 View Post
    I saw a guy shooting a bow like that as I was going thru Evergreen Friday morning
    Should have honked the horn or stopped by to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Should have honked the horn or stopped by to try it out.
    I will next time
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

Pretty bow.

I wish the amount of info had been out when I started shooting a recurve. It was pretty much look at what you want to hit and let her rip. It worked but I plateaued. I did well at 3D shoots and killed game but every now and then my shooting would go haywire and I couldn’t figure out why. A buddy lent me some of the masters of the Barebow CDs and my shooting improved exponentially when I began to understand the mechanics of shooting. I’m still learning, Constantly tweeting, trying to attain that unattainable perfection.

FLS,
    What you say Masters of the Barebow did for you, is what I would describe The Push as having done for me. The fixed crawl fundamentally changed the way I approach traditional archery. Masters of the Barebow is on my list to go through. It gets such high praise from some towering figures in trad bow shooting.

trad bow lingo is rad.

that's a good looking bow mollie
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

The fixed crawl, a form of string walking, been around a long time. Those guys just brought it to modern media. Good thing they did, because you have to dig through a mountain of bullshit on most archery sites to find anything actually useful.
    I use it on a compound I shoot barebow. I can shoot it almost as good as sights out to 25-30 yards with that bow.
    I played with it shooting my recurve, but stuck with my gapstinktive method. I see the gap between my point and target but don’t consciously measure it. Hard focus on what I want to hit.
    Last edited by FLS; 03-19-2019 at 08:32 AM.