Thread: Suppressed ammo

Default Suppressed ammo

If you are shooting a rifle, in this case a 223, with a suppressor, do you have to use subsonic ammo to get the benefit of suppressed sound or is standard ammo ok?
    If you must use subsonic ammo, what is the benefit of hunting? To me, the effectiveness of a round fired will be down.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Supersonic will still be suppressed and greatly reduce the noise, however you will still have that "crack" as the bullet breaks the sound barrier. The muzzle blast will be suppressed though, and it helps. If you did go to a subsonic round you will see a huge difference. As for hunting, that's where 300 blackout comes in. Subsonic and still enough energy to put something down. Im sure people with more knowledge will chime in with specifics...

A subsonic .223 bullet will have only a bit more energy than a high end pellet rifle and will have a rainbow trajectory. It probably won't cycle without modification. Suppressed supersonic .223 will sound about like a .22LR or maybe a .22magnum. My .308 supersonic with suppressor sounds about like a .22magnum.

The difference between suppressed and unsuppressed is striking. When I first got my .308 can, I tried it with and then without the can using supersonic ammo, just to get a good comparison. My ears are still ringing from the "without". Not only the sound but the whole percussion of the muzzle blast is drastically reduced by the suppressor. I don't like to shoot without a can anymore.

A subsonic 223 is useless.

It will literally have the energy of a subsonic 22Lr with a 55gr projo.

If In a AR platform you will have to manually cycle the action.

If you could have a tube the length of travel of the projectile in theory you could silence a super sonic round.

Unfortunately that isn't practical. Thus once the tube runs out and physic's takes over the projectile running 2900fps-3200fps is flying faster than the speed of sound from the get go.

Thus you have what happens when a jet breaking the sound barrier flies by a sonic crack.

Interestingly enough if you are not expecting the round or if you close your eyes and stand down range but to the side you will be hard pressed to express where the suppressed shot originated from!

Pretty neat experiment!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I have a bolt 223 that is threaded and considered putting it on that. That would end the cycling concerns.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    A subsonic 223 is useless.
    This
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

It's not completely useless, it's just a really expensive way to make a quiet squirrel rifle.

If ya want to practice in the back yard then subsonic ammo in that bolt action with a can will be very quiet, akin to a pellet rifle.

If ya want to shot regular ammo the can will greatly reduce to sound, akin to a 22 mag on CCI stinger 22lr. It will be fairly loud but ya can do it without ear protection or better yet, use cheap ear plugs.

Night and day difference with a can. On a side note a 223 can works well on a 22lr.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.