Thread: Palmetto 70/200

Default Palmetto 70/200

I recall some folks mentioned the Palmetto 70 or 200 in other posts. Anyone participating next weekend? I got talked into running with a couple guys in the 70. First relay race for me, team "moremilesmorebeers".

P200 for me. May have to go get a cortisone shot to run it. Screwed my knee up sunday

You are going to get a cortisone shot, risk further injury and pay to run on a public road?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    You are going to get a cortisone shot, risk further injury and pay to run on a public road?
    Maybe. Doing therapy 3x a day to hopefully heal on my own. I didn’t train the last few months to quit.

I'm running P200. Team "I'm Your Huckleberry". Haven't been able to train much due to strained knee, but we aren't running to win/place anyway.

I'll be there.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Good luck guys, stay safe!

Had to defer until next year for the P200. Looks like it will be great weather though. Be safe and have fun!

Well that was a fun event. I was freezing at the start but warmed up quickly. I dont like running in the dark, but luckily not much traffic at 5am. Hwy 311 was dark, cold and quiet. Once i hit hwy 6 and you could feel the warmth from the lake, bet it was 5-10 degrees warmer there. I passed a clemson thunder kitten (overall winners) at mile 8 as he started to lose pace. Got to the Hatchery, 8.88 miles 58:01 6:32 pace. So that put us in the lead (at least for our wave of 5 am starters). Got hard to keep track after that. My next leg was #7 around 9am from some church to Witherbee ranger station, 7.24 miles. Warmed up a little but still cool and comfortable. Was able to hold even pace at 6:27 finishing at 46:42. The fast young kids eventually won and our other masters competition caught us on the last leg. Glad my legs were before noon, got a little warm out for the last few guys. All in all I had a great time and hope to do it again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LBS View Post
    I'm running P200. Team "I'm Your Huckleberry". Haven't been able to train much due to strained knee, but we aren't running to win/place anyway.
    Y’all had a cool looking squad with all the staches!

Only ran about 10 miles, took it easy on my knee. Team name - “one time at van camp” we placed fifth in coed. Lucky to stay married after 28 hours in the van with the wife!

Swamp Fox, what time did your team start?

jwmetz, I saw your team vans at just about every exchange zone. We must have started about the same time.

Good race for sure. Did it as a 6 man ultra team last year. One runner went down on leg 9 with a stress fracture. We had to go in survival mode then with 5 guys. It was brutal. This year we had 9 man team but weren't concerned about pace. Had a few guys who were just there to run and not really push. I finished up with right at 25 miles at a 7:19 pace.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

How do you guys run so fast? Is there some trick to it?

I'm walking high when I average a 9min mile.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Swamp Fox, what time did your team start?

jwmetz, I saw your team vans at just about every exchange zone. We must have started about the same time.

Good race for sure. Did it as a 6 man ultra team last year. One runner went down on leg 9 with a stress fracture. We had to go in survival mode then with 5 guys. It was brutal. This year we had 9 man team but weren't concerned about pace. Had a few guys who were just there to run and not really push. I finished up with right at 25 miles at a 7:19 pace.
    Wow, 25 at 7:19 is awesome! We started at 5am.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Probably from running a lot? I'm a small framed guy so moving this little body isn't so difficult. Big dudes moving quick is impressive. They got talent.

Holy crap. Those are some impressive paces. Swamp fox that pace is just behind the Kenyans at the Bridge run.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Holy crap. Those are some impressive paces. Swamp fox that pace is just behind the Kenyans at the Bridge run.
    Haha. Those dudes run sub 29 min 10ks, 4:35 pace. I can sprint that for maybe 100 m. I can run low 38 10k, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmetz View Post
    Only ran about 10 miles, took it easy on my knee. Team name - “one time at van camp” we placed fifth in coed. Lucky to stay married after 28 hours in the van with the wife!
    We had a great time. Was Juice and Paper Jam (F3) on your team?

Quote Originally Posted by swamp fox View Post
    Well that was a fun event. I was freezing at the start but warmed up quickly. I dont like running in the dark, but luckily not much traffic at 5am. Hwy 311 was dark, cold and quiet. Once i hit hwy 6 and you could feel the warmth from the lake, bet it was 5-10 degrees warmer there. I passed a clemson thunder kitten (overall winners) at mile 8 as he started to lose pace. Got to the Hatchery, 8.88 miles 58:01 6:32 pace. So that put us in the lead (at least for our wave of 5 am starters). Got hard to keep track after that. My next leg was #7 around 9am from some church to Witherbee ranger station, 7.24 miles. Warmed up a little but still cool and comfortable. Was able to hold even pace at 6:27 finishing at 46:42. The fast young kids eventually won and our other masters competition caught us on the last leg. Glad my legs were before noon, got a little warm out for the last few guys. All in all I had a great time and hope to do it again next year.
    Dang. You smoked it!

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Training. Obviously some of it is genetics as well. I weigh almost 200 and am over 40. When in running shape, I can sub 40 a 10k. Did the Blue Ridge relay several years ago and had a mid-6 pace through the mountains. That was training. Right now without training, I could still go out and run several sub-7 miles (but feel like crap afterward)- that’s the genetics part.
    Carolina Counsel