Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth a look- turning pants into PFD

Default Worth a look- turning pants into PFD

Read this and figured it was worth sharing. Learned something new today.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-su...otation-device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did that in Boy Scouts at camp Barstow back in the day. You had to take a pair of blue jeans off while treading water and turn them into a PFD.

my uncle treaded water for 45min before he thought to do that w his tshirt, said it saved him that day. was another hour before coast guard picked him up. he was teaching a guy to sail and got tossed off a hobie cat, other guy barely made it back to SI.
    told me the chopper flew over about a dozen times before they spotted him and the white tshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    We did that in Boy Scouts at camp Barstow back in the day. You had to take a pair of blue jeans off while treading water and turn them into a PFD.
    Yep

Sure did... years ago.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Did that at camp Bob Harden
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Camp ho nan wah here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Camp Old Indian for me. Had to swim a mile too to get the badge.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Lifeguard training teaches this as well. On another note, I’ve heard but haven’t taken the time to look up that inflatable PFDs have to be worn to count as a life jacket on a boat in SC. Did I hear total BS on this or what? Any experience with this with DNR?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Inflatable pfd has to be worn to count as a pfd. That is correct. Can't have four of them under a seat and be able to say you have one for each of the four people on the boat, they have to be worn to count.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 03-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Lifeguard training teaches this as well. On another note, I’ve heard but haven’t taken the time to look up that inflatable PFDs have to be worn to count as a life jacket on a boat in SC. Did I hear total BS on this or what? Any experience with this with DNR?
    I believe you’re correct....I got a written warning about 4-5 years ago for not wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Inflatable pfd has to be worn to count as a pfd. That is correct. Can't have four of them under a seat and be able to say you have one for each of the four people on the boat, they have to be worn to count.
    I’ll never understand how the idgits responsible for writing laws come up with these differentiation’s.

I learned this and taught this in the Boy Scouts at Camp Old Indian in the 80’s. This ain’t something new. But good to see it hasn’t been a forgotten life saving skill.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerHntr View Post
    I learned this and taught this in the Boy Scouts at Camp Old Indian in the 80’s. This ain’t something new. But good to see it hasn’t been a forgotten life saving skill.
    Good times at Camp Old Indian. I did the same.

Guy in New Zealand just did this to stay alive...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-su...otation-device

did this and swam the mile up river to get the badge

That’s why the Navy wore bell bottom dungarees. Bell bottoms allow you to get them off over your boots. Everyone who’s ever gone through Navy boot camp had to do it to pass pool comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    That’s why the Navy wore bell bottom dungarees.
    Sure it was.

A1EA845C-113F-475C-A7ED-D7B0B260735C.jpg

Camp Barstow for me too, along with the mile swim, lifeguard and Order of the Arrow. We were going through my Dad's stuff after he passed and there were 2 plaques from Camp Barstow for me- horseshoe champ and record for the fastest time ever on the obstacle course.

I really liked the no hot water showers there- not.

I have taught my sons and grandsons how to make life preservers out of their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    glenn and tater aint changed much
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.