Thread: Rem can be sued over Sandy Hook

Default Rem can be sued over Sandy Hook

Gunmaker Remington can be sued over marketing of rifle used in Sandy Hook shooting, court rules

The maker of the semiautomatic rifle that was used to kill 20 children and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School can be sued concerning the way the gun was marketed, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

A federal law passed in 2005 that protect gunmakers from liability when their arms are used in the commission of crimes doesn’t apply in the lawsuit that names Remington, which makes the Bushmaster rifle that Adam Lanza wielded in carrying out the 2012 massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, the court ruled in a 4-3 decision.

In doing so, justices overturned a lower-court ruling that had found that the wrongful-death lawsuit brought by a survivor and nine of those killed in the mass killing couldn’t go forward against Remington, which has denied wrongdoing.

Start the day smarter: Get USA TODAY's Daily Briefing in your inbox

While the supreme court threw out many of the allegations in the suit, it let stand the claim that Remington could be held as a defendant concerning how the gun, which is based on the AR-15 assault rifle, is marketed. The lawsuit contends that Remington, based in Madison, North Carolina, advertised the gun model in ways that glorified it to young people and that the weapon is inherently dangerous.

Erica Laffery, daughter of slain Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung, gets a hug from Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy after she delivered a speech at the March for Our Lives rally in Hartford, Conn.
    Erica Laffery, daughter of slain Sandy Hook Elementary School Principal Dawn Hochsprung, gets a hug from Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy after she delivered a speech at the March for Our Lives rally in Hartford, Conn. (Photo: H JOHN VOORHEES III/AP)

“The regulation of advertising that threatens the public’s health, safety and morals has long been considered a core exercise of the states’ police powers,” wrote Justice Richard Powers in the majority opinion.

Lanza was 20 when he shot and killed his mother at home, then went to the Newtown school where he gunned down first-graders and educators with a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle. Lanza then killed himself.

The senseless massacre shocked the nation and led then-President Barack Obama to propose tougher gun laws.

More: Sandy Hook group shares powerful PSA to prevent school shootings on anniversary of Newtown tragedy

The plaintiffs’ attorney hailed the court’s decision.

“The families’ goal has always been to shed light on Remington’s calculated and profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users, all at the expense of Americans’ safety,” attorney Joshua Koskoff said. “Today’s decision is a critical step toward achieving that goal.”

Contributing: The Associated Press

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/3162168002/

I saw this earlier.

I bet it goes to the supreme court and is rebuked.

I read the BS they want to go after Rem for targeting at risk youth, but if I recall the deranged boy shot his mother and then stole her AR15.

Sorta key here.

He first committed murder, and then he stole the fire arm.

Note. No back ground check would have prevented this.

No one at Remington wants deranged folks running around with guns. This is stupid and ridiculous.

I hope Remington can counter sue for defamation, after the Supreme court back hands this non sense
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Complete and utter horse shit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-14-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

no one will gain anything from this but the Lawyers.

no matter what.....The lawyers win.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    no one will gain anything from this but the Lawyers.

no matter what.....The lawyers win.
    Not the Plaintiff’s lawyers. 33% of 0 is . . .
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    It will likely settle. Fighting it will probably bankrupt Remington, win or lose. I dont think they are in great financial shape as it is.

I was in a mediation this week. Plaintiff's lawyer was contracted to get 45% plus a flat $115,000 in fees.

The other side had 15+ lawyers being paid by the hour.

On a weak case, but anyone can sue anyone. If insurance is involved, the plaintiff thinks its free money.

Our attorney, who has been our company's lawyer for 40 years, told me "look around this room; this is what's wrong with America."
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

They will have to prove the claims about marketing. Unless Freedom Arms (Remington/Bushmaster) was foolish enough to license their brand to violent video game makers it's going to be a tough reach. This would be like trying to hold Uhaul or Ryder liable for the Oklahoma City bombing.
    Dirty liberal Yankee lawyers trying to buy another yacht, mansion or a handful of under aged sex slaves from Thailand is all this is.

I’d love to see Remington ask to make them prove that Sandy Hook actually took place as described.

I’m not saying it didn’t, but there’s enough out there that raises a lot of curious questions about it. Make the bastards prove it happened.

Then start filing suits for every auto crash, every failed condom used by a kid under 18 years old, etc...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I hope that Remington can force the plaintiffs to pay its legal expenses when this case gets thrown out.
    Last edited by Fish; 03-15-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I’d love to see Remington ask to make them prove that Sandy Hook actually took place as described.

I’m not saying it didn’t, but there’s enough out there that raises a lot of curious questions about it. Make the bastards prove it happened.

Then start filing suits for every auto crash, every failed condom used by a kid under 18 years old, etc...
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    This is way different than a car crash or any other wrongful death case. 2nd amendment is at play here. Cars and condoms are not mentioned in the constitution. As Biden would say "this is a big fucking deal".

Dangerous precedent here...

O a related note, I'm gonna sue Dixie for making utensils that have aided in me being overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Fame and notoriety from your name in the news for leading this charge aren’t “zero”. Lots of shitty lawyers out there have made bank from shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Like what?
    Please don't ask crazy people to explain their crazy. It's better off they keep to themselves.

It's only seems crazy if you go looking to pick out a phrase from a post, take stuff out of context. I think that usually means you are already biased or insecure about the subject.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    It's only seems crazy if you go looking to pick out a phrase from a post, take stuff out of context. I think that usually means you are already biased or insecure about the subject.
    Exhibit A.

Hit ya right between the eyes didn't it?
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Like a spitball.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Dangerous precedent here...

O a related note, I'm gonna sue Dixie for making utensils that have aided in me being overweight.
    dont forget the racist name..
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?