Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who wears snake protection?

I use Lacrosse brand rubbers. Only leak when things get really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    How dumb would you feel if you got hit and we’re not wearing boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Why not prevent it if you can? My rubber snake boots are just as comfortable to me as regular muck boots are and I feel a lot better about walking in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I use Lacrosse brand rubbers. Only leak when things get really rough.
    That’s what I use, lacrosse rubber

Im a Forester and work in the woods by myself almost everyday. I wear Chippewas usually. They are comfortable and I just come across too many snakes to justify not wearing snake boots. It only takes stepping on one, one time.
    More Ducks, Less People

I was bitten twice by the same copperhead when I was 8. This was in 85. It felt like a bee sting for what's it's worth. As I realized what I had stepped on, me being the brash young man I was decided that kicking the brown bastard was the right idea. For the dummies out there, never kick a snake. The sumbitch is faster than you and has knives in his head. This is where the 2nd bite came from. I was rushed to the local hospital,1st mistake. They had only treated 1 snake bite in the previous 20 years and it was a rat snake or some crap. As they started the machine to try a draw the venom out they released the homemade tourniquet that my parents had on my leg just below my knee, 2nd mistake. The 3rd and most crucial mistake was to keep giving pain meds to an 8 year old with snake venom in his blood stream. Just about did this ole boy in. Once my mom realized these people were clueless in what they were doing I was taken to Spartanburg. For the next 2 weeks I lived in the children's wing of Spartanburg regional. I was so sick that water would be thrown up as soon as it hit my stomach. Amputating my right leg at the knee was strongly considered as it was the size of a football and black and blue.
    I say all this to give y'all a little insight into how painful a snake bite can be. I wear snake boots during the warm months when I'm in the woods but I've never tested the snakeproofness of my footwear. The thought never crosses my mind of getting bit again but with my luck I ain't taking no chances.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Wow.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Forgot to add that I wear the older Danner pronghorns with the snake head shape in the leather. Not extremely hot and as comfortable as any hunting boot I've ever worn. They were ready to wear straight out the box. A few years back I found a store out west that still had these in stock in some odd ball sizes. I have another pair in the box waiting on the day they get to see some dirt. From how these others are holding up it might be awhile.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I just about stepped on a copperhead in eastern NC many moons ago. Thing was getting ready to shed and coiled up beside a tree. I was trying to move in on a gobbler and saw it right before I stepped on it. To this day I'm not sure how I levitated over that snake because my weight was already forward with the step. No snake boots at the time.

I love my Muck boots but they are hot. My other pair of turkey hunting boots is the discontinued Danner snake boots Cabela's was selling 2 years ago. Not as hot and waterproof.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

It doesn't look like Cabela carries the snake boots I have now that there owned by Bass pro. The only person I know that has been bitten. Copperhead in his yard in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    who on this here foh-rum has ever been bitten by a venomous snake in South Carolina while hunting anything that hops or flys and exactly where in the state did the alleged snake bite occur? I like getting after quail and am a new resident to the lower part of the state...trying to rationalize snake boots myself.
    I got bit by a cottonmouth in the Wateree swamp about 12 years ago. I had on Danner snakeboots and the snake hit me on my ankle. I own snakeboots, but don’t really wear them anymore. I hunted south Florida with Lacrosse Grange’s and Crocs last week and it is what it is.

People die from car wrecks, cancer and heart attacks. Anything else, and it was your day to go.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I got bit by a cottonmouth in the Wateree swamp about 12 years ago. I had on Danner snakeboots and the snake hit me on my ankle. I own snakeboots, but don’t really wear them anymore. I hunted south Florida with Lacrosse Grange’s and Crocs last week and it is what it is.

People die from car wrecks, cancer and heart attacks. Anything else, and it was your day to go.
    So did the cottonmouth's venom affect you, or nah?

I hear it affected his tear ducts.

I had on snake boots at the time
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I've got a pair of Russell's that aren't well broken in after about five years because I so rarely wear them. When it's warm enough for snakes, it's too hot for boots. I see snakes so rarely that I rely on statistics instead of boots.

I remember my dad telling me, "The best thing about boots is taking them off."