Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wears snake protection?

Default Who wears snake protection?

So I’ll admit I’ve never to my knowledge worn snake boots or chaps or gaiters while turkey hunting. In the past I’ve just worn lacrosse or muck boots. However as I’ve become more serious about turkey hunting and do a lot more walking, I’ve been thinking about changing footwear to something like a low or mid hiking boot. I’ve never been struck by a snake while hunting but have seen plenty and I’m sure not seen plenty. As I get older and now a first time father to be, I find my self taking less stupid risks (ie I now wear my seatbelt much more than I did). Which got me thinking about snake protection while turkey hunting, mainly walking in the dark. My main concerns are comfort (if they aren’t comfortable I won’t end up wearing them), heat, and how well they handle water or dri out. Right now my two ideas are the hiking boots and TurtleSkin gaiters or Russell turkey hunting snake boots. Right now I hunt a mixture of fields and river swamp. What do y’all use or your thoughts on the matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

For the last 20 years all I've worn in the deer and turkey woods is Lacrosse grange boots, never worn gaiters or anything else either. I found a deal on some Ariat h20 snake boots for 1/2 off two weeks ago and pulled the trigger, they're finally growing on me. I've been wearing them as much as possible on evening walks since I got them and they're finally getting broken in.....at first they were uncomfortable as shit and hard to get on. I walked a few miles listening for turkeys at the club last night and didn't have any issues at all, I was pleasantly surprised. It's going to be odd hiking through the woods and swamps without my Lacrosse boots but we'll see how it goes. My biggest concern is wearing them in the heat
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 03-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Every time I step in the Lowcountry woods. My boots are comfortable, so i never give it a second thought.

LaCrosse snake proof.

Why would you ever have NOT worn your seatbelt?

I do.. because we already have two kids.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I bought a pair for the first time last year. Never worried about snakes really until the last few years and it was not so much worry as actually knowing I was not as invincible as I once believed I was. My dad always pounded in our heads to look under our feet in the woods and it has helped. I bought the Danner's that went on clearance at Cablea's last year. Last few years I would pick up a pair in a store or add them to the cart online but never would go through with it. Having something tight around my legs a lot of times make my ankles hurt, but these have not. Took a little bit to break them in but once they are broke it they are great. They were more like a tennis shoe than a pair of boots. Only had one season in them but are pretty water proof as long as you are not just standing in water. I guess growing older and having kids is what finally pushed me to it and it was a win/win at the price. I will definitely buy more when I need to. Just remember they only protect you while walking from low strikes. A big rattlesnake coiled can hit higher than them and when you are sitting on the ground set up they do you virtually no good so be vigilant, but walking in the dark over logs and things they do give you peace of mind. Bought my 5 year old a pair last week as he is coming on some hunts this year, he wants to wear them everywhere!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I wear new balance tennis shoes unless it is raining or just finished raining. If the latter is the case I wear off brand muck boots.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 03-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.

But sometimes I like to live dangerously and rely on my quickness..
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Have for years. Aint got time for no snek bites.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I finally bought a pair of Lacrosse Adders 2 years ago. I like them. Comfortable, as waterproof as can be expected, and not hot.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

I wear snake boots cause I'm not stupid.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

threads like this make me giggle.
    I dont wear snake boots. I guess I live on the edge?

The comparison to seat belts or the point about having kids is just silly.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you can swing the cost of the Russell's do it. I've had a pair for 25 years. Sent them to Russell a couple of years ago to get refurbished. Mine are waterproof enough - but if you are standing in 6" of water your feet will get wet - not soaked but enough to notice. Does not bother me much since inside the boot is all leather and no cloth to squish around (if that makes any sense). Plus they now offer taped seams and a more waterproof leather which were not available when i got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I wear new balance tennis shoes unless it is raining or just finished raining. If the later is the case I wear off brand muck boots.
    I guarantee they're white, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    threads like this make me giggle.
    I dont wear snake boots. I guess I live on the edge?

The comparison to seat belts or the point about having kids is just silly.
    No snake boots and you dont carry a pistola. You're basically already dead.....

I wear knee highs that aren't snake proof. I have snake chaps that I wear if I think I'm going to encounter a snake.

I only go in the woods a few times a year during the warmer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I guarantee they're white, right?
    NB 624 with tube socks.

stopped wearing biteproof boots a few years ago. got tired of them leaking in the swamp. now i go with lacrosse waterproof

i dont believe in protection
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.