Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Roasting your own coffee?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    I don’t know. I have zero desire to tie my own flies. Kinda like changing my own oil. I would rather pay someone else and spend my time doing something else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banks of the Wateree
    Posts
    38,075

    Default

    It's all about what your time is worth to you.. I have a ratio I use, fun/time/money.. Can someone do it better is thought about as well.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's all about what your time is worth to you.. I have a ratio I use, fun/time/money.. Can someone do it better is thought about as well.
    Yep. Time is the most valuable thing there is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    It's perspective I think. I've never gotten to the point of wanting to build my own rods but designing a fly and catching fish with it brings another level of satisfaction. Same as building arrows and killing deer with them, making decoys and calls etc. Coffee is Yuban to me. Never considered it could be fun to roast but I don't know what I don't know.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

    "No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    We had a local shop here in town that is roasting the best beans I have ever had. We grind our beans every morning and do this hipster pour over thing my wife is hooked on now. I’m paying home boy around $50 a month for beans and his business model is gonna fail soon.

    I’m trying to keep the same quality of beans and cut my cost by 60%. #flybuyingmoney


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banks of the Wateree
    Posts
    38,075

    Default

    Oh, I might seem like I get poetic and wander about things on the internet, in real life I'm pretty deliberate. I have thought about roasting coffee before, but I drink it most of the time I'm firing for effect. I've had 16 ozs of some kerig cup that I'm on.. it's actually a folgers to which I don't like to admit, 1864 or something called the pioneer blend. I typically drink blonder coffees because I like them in the mornings, plus more caffeine. I don't know what it is actually, but I drink it black with two pieces of ice in it so I can drink it as soon as it's made. I don't like to burn my tongue, can't taste food or kodiak. Then like around 7ish in the morning I grabbed right around 20 ozs from gas station that has coffee that I like, that'll hold me through the day typically.

    I have thought about getting a press or doing something fancy with my night cap coffee, my digestif..

    Time is very important to me, time with kids, family, killing birds, golfing, fishing.. that is weighed in on first.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 03-14-2019 at 07:10 AM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banks of the Wateree
    Posts
    38,075

    Default

    I have seen those cool little cups of coffee that they press out over there, I do want to try it at some point in my life.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Oh, I might seem like I get poetic and wander about things on the internet, in real life I'm pretty deliberate. I have thought about roasting coffee before, but I drink it most of the time I'm firing for effect. I've had 16 ozs of some kerig cup that I'm on.. it's actually a folgers to which I don't like to admit, 1864 or something called the pioneer blend. I typically drink blonder coffees because I like them in the mornings, plus more caffeine. I don't know what it is actually, but I drink it black with two pieces of ice in it so I can drink it as soon as it's made. I don't like to burn my tongue, can't taste food or kodiak. Then like around 7ish in the morning I grabbed right around 20 ozs from gas station that has coffee that I like, that'll hold me through the day typically.

    I have thought about getting a press or doing something fancy with my night cap coffee, my digestif..

    Time is very important to me, time with kids, family, killing birds, golfing.. that is weighed in on first.
    The pioneer blend is good. I rocked that in Indiana back in November.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    We just make cowboy coffee on hunt/camp trips. Throw grounds in simmering pot and follow with a cup of cold water in a minute or two to sink them, pour drink and go hunt. Will raise the dead.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

    "No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Oh, I might seem like I get poetic and wander about things on the internet, in real life I'm pretty deliberate.
    I almost spit a mouthful of coffee on the screen when I started reading that.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

    "No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    14,491

    Default Roasting your own coffee?

    First time I ever prayed for Tennessee football to start winning again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 03-14-2019 at 08:05 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    19,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    First time I ever prayed for Tennessee football to start winning again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preach.....

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    Lolz


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    872

    Default

    New Moon Bean Co. in Aiken. Bourbon Cookie flavor. It doesn't taste like bourbon or cookies but is damn good. The taste of the added flavor doesn't overpower the coffee, it blends perfectly. I buy it by the five pound bag. Mailed to house. Grind daily.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    New Moon Bean Co. in Aiken. Bourbon Cookie flavor. It doesn't taste like bourbon or cookies but is damn good. The taste of the added flavor doesn't overpower the coffee, it blends perfectly. I buy it by the five pound bag. Mailed to house. Grind daily.
    This man is cultured.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,136

    Default

    It would seem that some of y'all just have a tremendous amount more free time than do I....

    I make my own fishing rigs because I make them better than I can buy them.... I have a hard time believing that y'all make better coffee than old Don and his donkey.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Banks of the Wateree
    Posts
    38,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    The pioneer blend is good. I rocked that in Indiana back in November.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice

    20190314_112100.jpg

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    It would seem that some of y'all just have a tremendous amount more free time than do I....

    I make my own fishing rigs because I make them better than I can buy them.... I have a hard time believing that y'all make better coffee than old Don and his donkey.
    And in a flyfishing forum even. For a bunch that gets all razzed up over law and order and rule of society going to pot they sure seem like a herd of cats.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-14-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: they
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

    "No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    14,491

    Default




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Crystal Coast
    Posts
    13,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Anything named Pioneer blend seemed legit. They make one called “Yukon” or something like that. It isn’t bad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •